1504 replies to this topic

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:35 PM #1

District 8-4A prep footbal
  • District 8-4A prep footbal
  • : 0

FRANKLINTON DEMONS

Coach: Stephen Burris (second season, 5-6)

Last year: 5-6 overall, 3-1 district (second place), 20th http://www.firestorm...sey-c-1_38.html seed in Class 4A playoffs; lost to 13th-seeded Warren Easton, 47-27, in first round.

Top returning players: QB Tahj Magee, Sr. (pictured); LB Lamount Harris, Sr.; WR Duke Bell, Jr.; OL Josh Gubert, Sr.; OL Lance Stermer, Sr.; RB Trequan Charles, Sr.; WR/CB Rakerian Conerly, Sr.; LB James Bickham, Sr.; DE Carson Ragas, Jr.

Top newcomers: DB Rondrick King, Sr.; DE Austin Thomassen, Sr.; DT Joe Magee, Soph.; DE Derek Shows, Jr.; LB Grant Thomas, Jr.

Toughest games: at Covington, Sept. 1; at St. Thomas More, Sept. 29; vs. Salmen, Oct. 5 (road) and Oct. 27 (home); vs. Neville, Oct. 13.

Outlook: Between having little adjustment period after being an assistant coach for 20 years to becoming head coach in the spring of 2016 to a plethora of injuries, Burris says the Demons have put last season behind them and feel good about where they are now.

In 20 years as an assistant, I had one (player with a) broken leg. Last year I had four,he said. Throw in another with a torn ACL and a wide receiver who didnt realize he needed contact lenses, and it was quite the frustrating season for a team just six years removed from a Class 4A state championship.

It’s tough to predict how well this team will do, but they cannot be counted out with one of the areas most talented quarterback in Magee, who was sixth on the North Shore last season (second among quarterbacks to Ponchatoulas Jakyle Holmes) with 925 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns. He also passed for 1,812 yards with 15 more scores against just five interceptions.

With a more-experienced offensive line and six http://www.newjersey...sey-c-1_46.html returning starters there, the biggest question will be on defense, where just four return. “Up front were a lot better, but we dont have that athlete on defense as good as we used to who can just fly around,Burris said. Tackling in space was never an issue, but with three new starters in the secondary, we could see some growing pains.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:38 PM #2

Ron Rivera unplugged: 6 mo
  • Ron Rivera unplugged: 6 mo

SPARTANBURG

In the course of a lengthy and exclusive interview http://www.armacan.c...sey-c-1_33.html with Panthers coach Ron Rivera Monday, I learned a number of things. Here are six of them:

CAM’S WEIGHT: Rivera said that in February he went down to Atlanta and saw Newton while he was there. The trip was not solely to see the quarterback Rivera was also there because he was considering the purchase of a painting by American artist Steve Penley, who works in Atlanta.

While in the area, Rivera called Newton and the two ended up going to dinner. “And he bought,Rivera said, chuckling. So that was big.

What was not big, though, was Newton’s body. At the time, Rivera said, he was startled by how seriously Newton was already working out for a 2017 season that was more than half a year away.

He was 248 pounds when I saw him,Rivera said. He played last year at 260-265.

Rivera said that even at 265 pounds, though, Newton was “at about eight percent body fatin 2016.

Think about that,the coach said. His problem is when he goes in and lifts weights, you ought to see him. He swells up. I have to kill http://www.ochomesnl...rsey-c-1_8.html myself in the weight room to get anything. He walks in there, just inhales, and gets big.

By modifying his workouts, Newton showed up at training camp at 246 pounds. Although Newton has done no more than light throwing on the sideline for the past nine days and won’t play Wednesday night vs. Houston, Rivera also said he remained optimistic about Newton and his surgically repaired shoulder being ready for the regular-season opener at San Francisco on Sept. 10.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:22 PM #3

Panthers post-camp mailbag
  • Panthers post-camp mailbag

After about three weeks of training http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_22.html camp, the Carolina Panthers will head to Nashville for two joint practices and a preseason game against the Tennessee Titans this Saturday.

Carolina is clicking into gear as the season approaches, but still, there were plenty of questions following the wrap of camp in Spartanburg on Sunday.

Q. If the final wide receiver roster spot is Brenton Bersin versus Damiere Byrd, who gets it?

A. I think Byrd has already nabbed one of two open roster spots (the Panthers will probably keep six receivers, and Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Russell Shepard and second-round pick Curtis Samuel are locks for the others).

Byrd provides the burner vertical threat the Panthers desperately need after the departure of Ted Ginn Jr. in free agency, and barring injury, he seems like a lock. As of right now, I’d think Bersin gets the sixth spot based solely on his tenure with the team and his ability as a route-runner. Also peaking at the right time is Kaelin Clay, but he doesnt have the tenure of Bersin. Keyarris Garrett feels like a long shot again, based on the expectations of the two players hes a copy of: Benjamin and Funchess.

And don’t forget, Christian McCaffreys ability as a route-runner throws a variable into the absolute necessity of a six-receiver roster, should other positions require more attention.

Q. I still think the Fozzy Whittaker versus Cameron Artis-Payne question is very intriguing. Any thoughts based on what you saw?

A. I have to think that this is the year Artis-Payne draws the short straw, after the McCaffrey pickup. Whittaker is so valuable on special teams as well as in the locker room I have a hard time seeing him get cut, while Artis-Payne has never really gotten a chance to show his potential.

. What’s the biggest position in need of more depth?

A. Safety, safety, safety. After Dean Marlowe went on injured reserve with a torn hamstring, Carolina looked even more exposed at the position http://www.rd-corp.c...sey-c-1_15.html behind solid starters Mike Adams and Kurt Coleman. The team will look for Dezmen Southward and L.J. McCray to step up in the preseason, but it’s even more likely that Carolina picks up a safety either pre or post-cuts this fall.

Q. After naming corner James Bradberry your camp MVP, where would you place Devin Funchess?

A. Funchess had the best camp of any of the receivers in practice, but was overshadowed by Byrd in the preseason game against Houston. (Obviously Byrd was on the field a lot longer than first-teamer Funchess.) I would say Funchess would get a nod for runner-up, but McCaffrey put so many linebackers in a blender all throughout camp that it would really be a tough call.

Q. Thoughts on any undrafted rookies you saw in camp who have a chance of impacting first-team offense or defense?

A. None of Carolina’s undrafted rookies could come close to nabbing a first-team spot, but thats not to say that some werent impressive. I think the player who will have the most important role of any of them this fall is corner Cole Luke, who was a depth piece on the outside as well as in the nickel. I spoke with Bradberry right after camp wrapped and he said Luke was the young defensive player he was most impressed with, based on his smarts and ability to see the field.

Luke has a huge Nick Martin Jersey opportunity too, because depth is quite thin behind Bradberry and Daryl Worley, as well as behind veteran nickel Captain Munnerlyn with draft pick Corn Elder still rehabbing a stress fracture in his patella.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:39 PM #4

Ryan and Matt Kalil ready
  • Ryan and Matt Kalil ready

The typical brother behavior began http://www.newjersey...rsey-c-1_3.html on the ride to Wofford College last month, when Carolina veteran center Ryan Kalil drove his younger sibling to training camp and almost immediately began complaining about the music.

Offensive tackle Matt Kalil, four years younger, was relieved of his car DJ duties roughly 20 minutes into the 80-minute trip when his selections favored “a lot of weird house stuff, something he picked up in Minnesota Im guessing,Ryan said. It was very telling. Id never heard of this music before, thats how bad it was.

Matt responded with, “Hes an old soul. He likes Frank Sinatra and all the oldies. Im a little bit into that, but not as much as he is.

Any successful offensive line boasts the cohesiveness of Sinatra’s legendary Rat Pack and a franchise fortunate enough to double its number of Kalils goes a long way into adding plenty of personality. Both brothers possess a similar charisma and wit, as good at talking as they are at playing, and the team is banking on the duo to help better protect quarterback Cam Newton, who took a pounding last year even when he remained in the pocket.

Ryan, 32, has been as rock solid a member of the franchise as any player over the past decade. A second-round pick in 2007, he’s a five-time Pro-Bowler who signed a two-year contract extension just over a year ago worth $16.75 million, with $13 million guaranteed.

Matt, 28, spent his first five seasons with the Vikings before agreeing to a deal this offseason worth a reported $55.5 million over five years, with $25 million guaranteed. That’s a bunch of cash for a guy who began his career with great promise, but has been limited overall by injuries. Drafted fourth overall in 2012, he made his lone Pro Bowl as a rookie before knee problems slowed his progress, and then he missed all but two games last season with an injured hip.

Brought in to replace Michael Oher to protect Newton’s blind side, the team is gambling the younger Kalil has only scratched the surface of his ability, and if he can stay healthy is the answer at that important spot.

Matt Kalil said he’s looking to not only prove his worth to others, but to himself.

I know when Im healthy and http://www.officialp...sey-c-1_12.html everything’s working out great in that aspect, I can be a great player,he said. Theres a lot of things I had to play through that I finally decided to get fixed and its been awesome. I feel like Im finally getting my quickness back and its actually fun to go out there on the field and play with no pain.

Aside from signing a huge contract and assuming one of the team’s most important positions, the chance to play alongside his brother is a big bonus for Kalil, who is just young enough to have missed playing with Ryan through their high school and college careers. Both grew up in Corona, Calif., and attended Southern Cal.

The idea of joining forces at some point over their professional careers was bandied about at various times, but never seriously considered.

You only get to play this game once in your life, so I thought Id make the best of it and might as well play with my older brother,Kalil said. Its kind of a situation you talk and joke about, but never actually think would happen. Its already a rare opportunity to get into the NFL and have success, let alone play with your sibling.

Carolina defensive end Wes Horton, who played collegiately with Matt, says the family bond is strong and quickly evident when you see the two on the field and around the facilities.

Theres definitely a brotherly bond they have going on. Theyre both very similar personalities, both goofballs and always finding something outside of football to talk and laugh about. They definitely keep things fun throughout training camp because its not always all about football with them. They try to bring a funny aspect into things.

Both brothers have an entrepreneurial side off the field, with Matt investing in pizza chain Pieology in addition to some fledgling “ice-cream and dessertplaces, while Ryan has co-written a tongue-in-cheek handbook for NFL rookies while dabbling in movie production.

As far as the more artsy and artistic Tony Perez Womens Jersey stuff that Ryan does, I think we’re a little different in that respect,Matt said.

When it comes to the business of football, Matt has always looked up to and taken advice from his big brother, and now Ryan has the opportunity to really be hands on as far as the instruction.

Sometimes hell try and bust my chops a little bit and play the older brother card, but for the most part hes been a great teammate and helped me out tremendously,Matt said.

Ryan summed up, “Honestly, my relationship with him since hes been here hasnt been any different than a new teammate coming to town and showing them around. Obviously were brothers and will spend time together, but for the most part were teammates first and thats the exciting part.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:12 AM #5

Youth in Michigan secondar
  • Youth in Michigan secondar

ANN ARBOR -- Brian Smith didn't http://www.ky-oo32.c...sey-c-1_42.html even want to entertain questions Monday pertaining to suspended Florida wide receiver Antonio Callaway, and for good reason.

The second-year coach at Michigan has his work cut out for him with a young, and unproven, secondary group.

"It's a lot of teaching of fundamentals and footwork at this point," Smith said. "Guys coming in from high school, they're used to doing things a certain way.

"Instead of just teaching them the way we do it and our base fundamentals, we're breaking some bad habits. That's a lot of it right now."

Well documented by now, Michigan will be young in the defensive backfield in 2017. Two sophomores, Lavert Hill and David Long, are in the running for serious playing time at cornerback.

Meanwhile, the projected starters at safety, junior Tyree Kinnel and sophomore Josh Metellus, have combined for zero starts. And Metellus is still transitioning from linebacker.

"He's done a good job communicating back there," Smith said of Metellus. "He along with Tyree, they've kind of been our leaders as far as the communication is concerned. He's the guy that competes."

Beyond that stands a long line of question marks. Junior Brandon Watson and sophomore Keith Washington will be expected to http://www.ochomesnl...sey-c-1_24.html contribute at corner.

Among the true freshmen, four-star corner Ambry Thomas has earned rave reviews in camp. Jaylen Kelly-Powell could contribute at safety. Even J'Marick Woods "is looking good," Smith said.

But a learning curve remains, and Smith, a former NFL assistant coach, has spent a bulk of the first two weeks hammering home recognition and technique rather than emphasizing schemes.

"You almost start from scratch in some instances, as far as fundamentals you have to teach," Smith said. "You have to spend a little more time on it. So, I think there's a little bit more of a difference."

How it all plays out come Sept. 2 against remains to be seen, but it will be a tough act to duplicate last season. Michigan's pass-defense efficiency ranked first in the Big Ten, allowing a league-fewest 1,853 yards and 11 touchdowns.

The goal this time around?

"Creating more turnovers," Smith said. "When we have an opportunity to get a turnover, be it an interception or fumble, that's something we Greg Mancz Womens Jersey focused on and want to get more of this year.

"When there's a big play out on the field, an explosive run or pass play, that's kind of on us. We're the last line of defense."

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:18 AM #6

Katy Perry delays tour, Sc
  • Katy Perry delays tour, Sc

The start of Katy Perry’s Witness: The Tour”  has been delayed, though the Oct. 22 stop at Scottrade Center is not affected.

"Due to unavoidable production http://www.yadeos.co...rsey-c-1_8.html delays, major elements of my tour stage design could not be available for me to rehearse on until this week,” said Katy Perry. Ill be spending the next few weeks taking the time to properly prepare the show to be an experience I am proud to share with you. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but hope everyone who sees the show will agree it was worth the wait. My first show on 'Witness: The Tour' will be in Montreal on September 19, and all the rescheduled dates are listed on katyperry.com/tour."

Noah Cyrus will open http://www.arimtex.c...sey-c-1_15.html the St. Louis show.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:31 AM #7

Tim Raines and the Pitch H
  • Tim Raines and the Pitch H

Tim Raines was a voyeur with the http://www.dusenadup...sey-c-1_42.html ultimate view -- a Major League Baseball dugout. On his way to becoming a four-time National League stolen-base leader, Raines witnessed some of the most awful and incredible feats in the sport, including the prevalence of cocaine in baseball in the 1980s, the shattering of Dave Dravecky’s pitching arm in 1989, the rise and ultimate fall of the now defunct Montreal Expos, and the dominance of the 1990s New York Yankees.

His autobiography, “Rock Solid: My Life in Baseballs Fast Lane,opens with his (luckily) short-lived battle with cocaine and ends with the news that he would be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2017. Each struggle and success is rich in detail and emotion. Raines does not disappoint in terms of giving readers not only an inside look at life as a professional baseball player, but also an inside look at the thoughts, feelings, and sometimes conflicting emotions that go hand-in-hand with being an elite athlete.

Raines’ book is a quick read, but not always an easy one. Here is his recollection of one of the most gruesomely memorable moments in sports history -- Draveckys left arm snapping on Aug. 15, 1989, which ultimately ended in the pitcher having the arm amputated to prevent the spread of cancer:

I came to the plate expecting to take a pitch or two to see if Dravecky still had his command. I only saw one pitch, or more accurately, I heard it.

The moment Draveckys first offering left his hand, I and everyone else in Olympic Stadium heard a pop that sounded like a gunshot or a firecracker going off. Unfortunately, it was the result of Draveckys arm bone snapping in half. As the pitch sailed high in the air and to the backstop, Dravecky fell to the ground in agony. In that moment, I had conflicting instincts. Should I go out to the mound to check on the pitcher, or http://www.hl-sappor...sey-c-1_22.html should I tell Andres [Galarraga], who had already advanced to second base, to keep running? You just dont expect to see a mans arm break like that right before your eyes. I had never seen anything like it before and didnt quite know what to do.

This passage, with its exceptional detail and brutally honest emotion, puts the reader in Montreal’s Olympic Stadium on that fateful day. It is that kind of honesty and unfiltered insight from Raines, and prose from author and journalist Alan Maimon, that make Rock Solida true gem.

From early in his pro career, Raines was known for his speed. He stole 27 consecutive bases following his Major League debut in 1979 before getting caught, and he went on to steal 808 bases over the course of his career, including at least 70 in each of his first six full pro seasons. But Raines was more than a base-stealer; he was a seven-time All-Star and a batting champion (1986), and he is considered one of the best leadoff hitters and base runners ever to play the game.

But what might set Raines apart was not so much his talent, but his desire to do not just himself, but the game of baseball proud. A constant student of the game, Raines credits Expos’ teammate Andre Dawson with teaching him about the game and life.

He had a sluggers physique and a gentlemans temperament,Raines wrote of Dawson. He was the best player I had ever seen and I wanted to emulate him in every way.”  

Raines played ball during a time of massive upheaval in Major League Baseball. During only his third season in the Majors, Raines experienced the most costly work stoppage in MLB history, the 1981 strike, during which 713 games were cancelled. The strike may have cost the Expos, for whom Raines played for 12 seasons, their best shot at breaking through to become a playoff team. And it most certainly played a role in Raines’ foray into drugs.

Raines’ dabble with cocaine in the early 1980s could have cost him his career -- hed only been in the Majors for two years before Julius Peppers Youth Jersey turning to drugs. But an intervention by the Expos, who drafted him in the fifth round in 1977, turned Raineslife around. Getting clean allowed Raines to do what he did best during his 23-year-career -- steal bases. He swiped a career-high 90 the season after he completed rehab and he went on to testify at the Pittsburgh drug trials, which resulted in the suspension of 11 players.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:26 PM #8

How Giants’ Damon Harrison
  • How Giants’ Damon Harrison

Damon “SnacksHarrison already http://www.ky-oo32.c...sey-c-1_20.html has declared his desire to get more sacks than the 2.5 he recorded last season, his first as the Giants’ nose tackle. But more than that, the 341-pound run-stopper wants to create a more dynamic defensive line that can be dangerous on every down starting with himself.

Get lighter, quicker on my feet,Harrison said when asked how he has tried to increase his versatility, specifically getting to the quarterback. Have the same approach against the pass as I do against the run. But if you notice, I stop my feet a lot anytime Im pass rushing, and thats just me overthinking things, trying to process the blocking schemes, how are they blocking me.

But just letting loose and running up the field every now and then. Like everybody else does. I want to do it, too.

Harrison was a first-team All-Pro last season because of how good he is against the run, but it also helped he so often had Johnathan Hankins lining up next to him in the middle.

Hankins left this offseason to sign a three-year, $30 million deal with the Colts.

The most likely to fill that void would be Jay Bromley or rookie Dalvin Tomlinson, both of whom already have impressed Harrison.

Jays come a long way, but thats just a testament to him being in here in the offseason,Harrison said. I come in here to run http://www.ochomesnl...sey-c-1_19.html and he’s already running, hes lifting weights, hes focused. Its night and day from where he was a year ago.

Dalvin is coming along. This past, I want to say, week and a half, two weeks, hes taking coaching very well, hes in the classroom all the time watching the film, trying to improve, asking questions.

With Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon set to bookend the defensive line, Harrison said he likes what he sees.

I think we have a good group,he said. Its a good competition.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:43 PM #9

D’Onta Foreman making a ca
  • D’Onta Foreman making a ca

D’Onta Foreman already looking impressive for the Houston Texans.

The Houston Texans have had some http://www.hl-sappor...sey-c-1_24.html very good starting running backs over the past several years with Arian Foster and now Lamar Miller.

But the Texans haven’t had a good back up since Ben Tate left in 2014.

With rookie D’Onta Foreman in the mix after being selected by Houston in this years draft, hes making a case to beat out Alfred Blue for the second string running back job.

Foreman busted out for 76 yards on nine carries during last week’s opening preseason game against the Carolina Panthers.

Of course Foreman did his damage against the Panthers’ back ups, but its still a good sign nonetheless.

It sounds like Miller believes Foreman http://www.hssmstore...sey-c-1_15.html can help him this coming season.

From ESPN.com:

Blue is a solid back, but it would surprise me if Foreman isn’t the guy backing up Miller when the regular season kicks off against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:48 PM #10

No end in sight for Eagles
  • No end in sight for Eagles

At 37, punter Donnie Jones is the oldest http://www.officialp...rsey-c-1_3.html player on the Eagles’ roster, a fact that annoys his special teams buddy Jon Dorenbos to no end.

Dorenbos, also 37, is the longest tenured Eagle. He’s been the teams long-snapper since 2006. But Jones, who signed with the Eagles in 2013, is 16 days older than Dorenbos.

He always messes with me because he said one of his goals was to be the oldest guy on the team, and Ive got him beat by a couple of weeks,’’ Jones said with a laugh.

Jones isn’t planning on going anywhere anytime soon. He signed a three-year, $5.5 million contract extension with the Eagles in November, and is hoping to play through that deal and maybe even another one.

This is the only place I want to play,’’ he said. I want to finish my career here. My goal is to play into my 40s. Im getting closer. Well see.’’

Jones, who is entering his 14th NFL season is the league’s second oldest punter. Only Houstons Shane Lechler, who turned 41 on Sunday, is older.

But advancing age has had no impact on his punting ability. Last season, he finished 11th in the league in net average (40.7), the fourth best average of his career. Opponents returned just 39.7 percent of his punts, which was the third best return percentage of his career and the 11th best in the NFL.

I feel really good,’’ said Jones, fresh from his first massage of training camp. You always look for ways to rejuvenate yourself. Thats what I kind of do in the offseason. Look for ways to get better.’’

He can thank his wife, Aubrie, for the latest way. She convinced him to try Yogalates during the offseason. Yogalates is exactly what the name suggests – a combination of the posture and breathing techniques of yoga with Pilates exercises.

She said, Why dont you come and do it with me?’’’ Jones said. I said, Im not really interested in that.But I finally went. Boy, it was difficult. But it was good. Its a great full-body workout. Ladies twice my age were putting me to shame in there.’’

For the first time since signing with the http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_18.html Eagles in 2013, Jones skipped the team’s voluntary spring OTAs. The popular assumption was that special teams coordinator Dave Fipp suggested he stay home in Baton Rouge and preserve his leg strength.

But that really wasn’t it.

Practice is good for everybody,’’ Fipp said. But a player like him probably needs less of it.’’

Jones opted to skip OTAs so that he could spend some quality time with his kids – nine-year-old son Weston and seven-year-old daughter Addison.

This is going to be 14 years for me,’’ he said. Time flies. When I first got here [in 2013], my son was five and my daughter was three. Now theyre going to be 10 and 8 soon.

My job is very important to me . When Im here, Im 110 percent all in and want to give us the best chance to be successful.

But as my kids get older, you miss a lot playing this game. I just wanted to be there with them in the springtime and do some things I havent gotten to do with them. That was a big reason [why I skipped OTAs]. Everybody here was great about it.’’

It wasn’t like the Eagles needed him Joey Votto Womens Jersey during the spring. They signed rookie Cameron Johnston of Ohio State after the draft and he handled all of the punting in OTAs.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:59 PM #11

Geno Smith takes a step fo
  • Geno Smith takes a step fo

Geno Smith was underwhelming http://www.arimtex.c...sey-c-1_26.html through the first week of training camp. He hesitated on some throws, misfired on others and appeared to be overthinking his reads. Neither Smith nor Josh Johnson had asserted himself in the competition to be Eli Manning’s backup.

But Saturday was different.

Smith was decisive for most of the Giants’ two-hour practice heavy on situational football, including plenty of red zone work. And while coach Ben McAdoo resisted characterizing Smiths entire practice that way, he did feel Smith had taken a meaningful step on Saturday.

I did. He definitely is very accurate with the football,McAdoo said. I think hes still learning. This is one of the tougher days that we have mentally. When you have a third-down period and four periods down in the red zone, things happen fast.

Granted, this is one practice. It’s just that the idea of Smith, 26, being one Manning injury away from starting for the Giants was nothing http://www.firestorm...rsey-c-1_2.html short of unthinkable five months ago. He was a free agent coming off ACL surgery, on top of concerns about chemistry with teammates while with the Jets, with a 28-to-36 career touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Smith, however, looks healthy. He is saying all the right things. And on Saturday, while working as the Giants’ No. 2 QB in a daily rotation with Johnson that McAdoo has arranged, Smith was delivering the ball on the money, intensely conscious that turnovers could do him in again.

The ex-Jet hit tight ends Evan Engram and Matt LaCosse for touchdowns, fired two other strikes to receiver Darius Powe and tight end Will Tye, and zipped an impressive spiral up the hash marks on a vertical route to Jerell Adams in a drill closer to midfield.

First thing is taking care of the ball, which is something I have emphasized for a long time,Smith said Wednesday of his focus early in camp. Also just picking up the offense Overall, I think I can be better. My timing and my Keenan Robinson Womens Jersey rhythm are slowly coming, but it will get better.”

They got noticeably better on Saturday. Most of Smith’s incompletions actually were drops on good throws.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:32 AM #12

Yankees: Joe Girardi pushi
  • Yankees: Joe Girardi pushi

When Yankees principal owner, Hal Steinbrenner, sits down with Brian Cashman to ponder the fate of their manager, they only need to http://www.ky-oo32.c...sey-c-1_26.html recall one event that took place over this long season to determine his value to the team.

Yankees manager, Joe Girardi, has a quality which defines his managerial style and it often leaves him wide open for criticism. Joe Girardi believes in his players, and he’ll stick with them, no matter what. Nowhere has that quality been seen more than in his handling of Gary Sanchez this season.

Managing a group of 25 men of all races, nationalities, creeds, backgrounds, and varying egos over the course of a 162 game six-month regular season is not an easy job. Each player has his “thingthat makes him tick, and its your job to find and maximize it.

Typically, your veterans are the easiest to manage, but they can be cranky at times and set in their ways which are not necessarily your ways.

But it’s with the young talent where a manager earns his keep. Molding, guiding, prodding, and sometimes riding a player become essential during a players development years. Which brings to mind why Derek Jeter, to this day, still refers to Joe Torre as Mr. Torre.

And while it’s doubtful that Gary Sanchez will ever be heard referring to his manager as Mr. Girardi, there is a bond developing between them. Tough love is what they call it in some environments. And Girardi has evidently been giving Sanchez a lot of lovelately.

In truth though, all Girardi did was to give Sanchez a kick in the butt, both publicly and privately, and one he deserved. Sanchez not only looked lazy behind the plate, but he was lazy, and it was evident to anyone watching Yankees games.

Yankees reaping the benefits

But it was Sanchez himself who crossed the bridge, accepting the criticism, determining that he would get better. Now, it appears to be working on Sanchez, a player who is essential to the success of the Yankees.

His new work ethic was particularly evident http://www.ochomesnl...sey-c-1_11.html last night when he caught Sonny Gray, who can’t even tell you the pitches he throws or how they will break when they reach the plate.

But you could see the difference in the way Sanchez took pride in not just blocking balls in the dirt, but catching them, even when there was no one on base. In short, he was in the game all the way.

Noticeably, his offense has picked up as well, especially in the power department. His 21st home run of the season came off Jacob deGrom, The Mets best and one of the top five pitchers in the National League and maybe all of baseball.

It’s not the end of the story, but it surely is a new beginning. Catching is the hardest position on the diamond. You are in every play and pitch. Full concentration is required on every pitch called and received. To boot, a catcher bats four or five times a game where everything becomes backward with the need to battle and not direct the pitcher.

Occasionally, as with Girardi himself when he caught during the late Nineties run for the Yankees, offense contribution is not needed and therefore not stressed. But with this Yankees team, Sanchez is an integral part of the offense.

Sanchez may never go down in the Daryl Worley Kids Jersey baseball history books as one of the greatest defensive catchers of all-time. And the Yankees don’t need him to be that catcher. All they need is for him to be steady and reliable behind the plate, improving with time and experience each year.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:43 AM #13

The reason for Vikings CB
  • The reason for Vikings CB

MINNEAPOLIS — Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was http://www.hl-sappor...sey-c-1_26.html quite direct when asked why cornerback Mackensie Alexander has improved this season.

"He listens,'' Zimmer said Wednesday, Aug. 16.

Alexander, after being taken in the second round of the 2016 draft, struggled as a rookie. This season, though, he is expected to take over at nickel back from Captain Munnerlyn, who signed as a free agent with Carolina.

Reviews so far have been positive.

"Alexander's done good,'' Zimmer said. "He's done really good, especially in the slot ... I would say he would be the (young Vikings cornerback) that's jumped up the most.''

Vikings safety Harrison Smith said after the 17-10 win at Buffalo in Thursday's preseason opener that Alexander "played well.'' Defensive coordinator George Edwards agreed.

"I thought he did a good job,'' Edwards said Wednesday. "One thing he's been, he's being pretty consistent right now with the technique and http://www.hssmstore...sey-c-1_22.html the fundamentals and doing a good job mentally with the calls and the communications. We just look for him to keep that consistency going and to keep getting better at the things we're asking him to get better at.''

During spring drills, the Vikings gave some work at nickel back to Terence Newman, who turns 39 next month. However, once training camp began last month, it became apparent they were were committed to Alexander in the slot.

It's an important defensive spot for Minnesota. Munnerlyn played 66.4 percent of the team's snaps at the position in 2015 and 61.6 last year even though he missed one game and most of another because of injury.

The Pioneer Press is a Forum News Service media partner.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:45 AM #14

Current leaders for 6 key
  • Current leaders for 6 key

The Carolina Panthers may have one http://www.armacan.c...sey-c-1_15.html of the more complete rosters in the league, but Carolina still has a few position battles going on that must be decided before the beginning of the season.

Here is an update for six key position battles.

Right tackle: Daryl Williams vs. Taylor Moton

Daryl Williams is in his second year and Taylor Moton is a rookie coming into the league from Western Michigan. Williams was slotted to win this battle before the start of camp, and still looks to at this point as well – but not for the reasons expected.

Moton has looked fantastic in camp and his first preseason game. He has taken snaps at right tackle, right guard and left tackle in that time, and looks to be the primary backup at the guard and tackle positions on the right side. It may be more advantageous for the rookie to take snaps at both positions as the season progresses, allowing the starters at those two respective positions to get breathers on long drives and give playing time and experience to the rookie, but not necessarily throw him into the fire.

Currently Winning: Williams

Fullback: Darrel Young vs. Alex Armah

Darrel Young is in his seventh season in the NFL, and at the age of 30 has seen his fair share of snaps. He spent six years as the Redskins’ starting fullback, but was out of football the last two years. Now he is one of the true veterans of training camp in a competition against a rookie.

Alex Armah spent the majority of his time at defensive end in college, as well as a little time at tight end. He has experience catching passes and blocking, but not being a lead blocker. At the moment it appears that Young is handily http://www.cinemakol...sey-c-1_10.html beating the rookie in this battle, but Armah is almost certainly a lock for the practice squad if he is released. He is a raw player with a high ceiling that can learn a lot for a year on the practice squad.

Currently winning: Young

No. 3 RB position: Fozzy Whittaker vs. Cameron Artis-Payne

It’s hard to know how many running backs the team will go into week one with. In 2015, the team carried four, with Brandon Wegher being a young talent they did not want to risk on the waiver wire. This year, the Panthers may keep four for a second time in five years for another reason: with four running backs on the roster, they would have a primary starter (Jonathan Stewart, Christian McCaffrey) and a backup to match him with the same playing style (Fozzy Whittaker, Cameron Artis-Payne).

But if the team doesn’t want to keep a full stable this season, the battle falls between a scat-back and a balanced running back. We know who former general manager Dave Gettleman would have kept. Whittaker was signed to a two-year, $2.5 million contract in March. But Marty Hurney is in control of the roster now, and with a clean Stephen Curry Womens Jersey slate, he will likely judge accordingly. By personnel, it seems Whittaker is in the lead at the moment, as Artis-Payne didnt run until the third team against the Texans, and Whittaker has special teams ability Artis-Payne does not.

Currently Winning: Fozzy Whittaker

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:15 PM #15

Barbara Hershey to Study T
  • Barbara Hershey to Study T

More casting news has come our way for http://www.officialp...rsey-c-1_3.html the next season of “The X-Filesas Deadline is reporting that Barbara Hershey (Insidious, The Entity, Black Swan) has been tapped for a recurring role on the 10-episode eleventh season of the Fox sci-fi juggernaut following last seasons six-episode revival.

Hershey will play Erika Price, a powerful figure who represents a mysterious organization. She joins returning stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson and co-star Mitch Pileggi. Annabeth Gish also stars.

About “The X-FilesSeason 11:

FOX has ordered a second chapter of “THE X-FILESevent series. The all-new 10-episode installment once again will be executive-produced by creator Chris Carter, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson returning in their roles as iconic FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. The event series will air during the 2017-2018 season. Production is set to begin in summer 2017.

THE X-FILESoriginally premiered in September 1993. Over the course of its nine-season run, the influential series went from breakout sci-fi favorite to massive global hit and became one of the most successful television dramas of all http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_32.html time. The show, which earned 16 Emmy Awards, five Golden Globes, and a Peabody Award, follows FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases – “X-Files” – for which the only answers involve paranormal phenomena.

Produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Ten Thirteen Productions, “THE X-FILESis created and executive-produced by Chris Carter.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:14 PM #16

Is Christian McCaffrey the
  • Is Christian McCaffrey the

SPARTANBURG

The Carolina Panthers wrapped their 2017 http://www.rd-corp.c...sey-c-1_16.html training camp at Wofford on Sunday after 16 practices spread over about three weeks.

And although head coach Ron Rivera declined to name a camp Most Valuable Player, we at the Observer unanimously agree that the award should go to second-year cornerback James Bradberry after he showed plenty of ball-hawking confidence and came down with several huge plays.

Here is what we learned:

Offense

Nobody seems unduly worried about quarterback Cam Newtons shoulder.

After the first night of full activity in front of an excited Gibbs Stadium crowd, Newton had a 12-day span during which he did not throw the ball at all, albeit very slowly to trainers.

But his “pitch-countincreased during the final two practices as Newton began to throw to receivers during individual drills and in http://www.texanspro...sey-c-1_33.html team drills. Head coach Ron Rivera said Newton was progressing as planned and that there was no reason to panic.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:25 PM #17

18 Seasons and 18 Stories
  • 18 Seasons and 18 Stories

The Browns' preseason begins tonight http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_28.html against the Saints of New Orleans. Brock Osweiler, the latest name to bounce around the front office spin cycle, will take the helm at QB. You can almost write the rest of the season from there.

But before all of that begins, we'd like to take you on a trip into the past. Before we abandon all rationality and dive into a season of numbing pain, we, as Browns fans, must take a moment to remember from whence we came.

Play

Current Time 0:00

/

Duration Time 0:00

Progress: 0%0:00

Fullscreen

00:00

Mute

Here, after 18 seasons, are the 18 stories that best encapsulate the modern Browns era.

18. Trading Our Opening Day Starting QB After One Game - Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson? Derek Anderson or Charlie Frye? Or maybe Brady Quinn? That was the question throughout training camp, leading up to the 2007 season. Charlie Frye won the job in camp. The hometown kid was tapped to start the opener. The whole town rallied behind him against the Steelers, the old rivals from across the border. Frye played less than one half of that season. He was benched before halftime, the team lost 41-7 and, the next day, the Browns traded him to Seattle. (This one was embarrassing at the time, but this move actually helped, as the Browns went 10-6 this year behind a career season from Derek Anderson.)

17. Draft Day - A movie being made http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_21.html about your hometown team should be exciting. But this fictional film wasn't about playing football, it was about the NFL Draft. And because of how awful they've been as a franchise, the Browns are now so synonymous with the NFL Draft that of course they were the subject of this film, an extremely unrealistic portrayal of what it's like in an NFL war room on the day of the draft. (Cleveland notoriously got the nod after Ohio's film tax credits beat the bottom line on what the studio would have to spend on the original subject, the Buffalo Bills.)

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:40 PM #18

Devin Funchess standing ou
  • Devin Funchess standing ou

Carolina Panthers wide receiver http://www.newjersey...rsey-c-1_5.html Devin Funchess is having an "excellent" training camp, reports Jourdan Rodrigue of The Charlotte Observer.

WHAT IT MEANS:

Funchess "made several big catches," per Rodrigue, and it sounds like he's poised to lock down the second receiving gig in Carolina behind Kelvin Benjamin. Entering his third season in the NFL, Funchess turned only 23 in May. It's worth mentioning that Benjamin, who struggled with his conditioning this offseason, "has been fairly quiet all of training camp so far."

numberFire's models rank Funchess just inside the top-100 fantasy receivers entering the season, and we project him to catch 23.9 http://www.officialp...rsey-c-1_8.html passes for 378.6 yards and 2.09 touchdowns.

Source: Jourdan Rodrigue, The Charlotte Observer

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:05 PM #19

Devin Funchess standing ou
  • Devin Funchess standing ou

Carolina Panthers wide receiver <a href="http://www.officialr...c-1_18.html</a> Devin Funchess is having an "excellent" training camp, reports Jourdan Rodrigue of The Charlotte Observer.

WHAT IT MEANS:

Funchess "made several big catches," per Rodrigue, and it sounds like he's poised to lock down the second receiving gig in Carolina behind Kelvin Benjamin. Entering his third season in the NFL, Funchess turned only 23 in May. It's worth mentioning that Benjamin, who struggled with his conditioning this offseason, "has been fairly quiet all of training camp so far."

numberFire's models rank Funchess just inside the top-100 fantasy receivers entering the season, and we project him to catch 23.9 passes <a href="http://www.rd-corp.c...c-1_15.html</a> for 378.6 yards and 2.09 touchdowns.

Source: Jourdan Rodrigue, The Charlotte Observer

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:43 AM #20

Panthers: Pieces in place
  • Panthers: Pieces in place

The Carolina Panthers experienced a http://www.arimtex.c...sey-c-1_45.html bad Super Bowl hangover in 2016, falling from 15-1 to 6-10 and the NFC South cellar. Their season was a personification of the phrase: everything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Quarterback Cam Newton became a punching bag, the running game fell apart, wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin’s return was disappointing at best, star linebacker Luke Kuechly suffered a terrifying concussion and was out for the remainder of the year. Even as early as Week 1, when kicker Graham Gano missed a 50-yard field goal that would have given the Panthers a win in Denver, everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong.

Coming into this season, things look different. That’s in large part because logic dictates that many things cant go wrong again. But the Panthers took steps toward fixing a lot of what needed fixing offensively. The biggest thing they did was drafting running back Christian McCaffrey in the first round.

McCaffrey will spark a fundamental shift in Carolina’s offense. The Stanford products upside is in the passing game. He has good hands, a solid route tree (for a running back) and racks up yardage after the catch. Simply put, he is http://www.arimtex.c...sey-c-1_28.html a perfect fit for a team that loves to throw it short. Before now, the Panthers haven’t been that team. Per Cian Faheys charting, Newton led the league in average depth of target last season. Carolina, in the past, has been a vertical offense.

Reply to this topic