7300 replies to this topic

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:15 AM #5861

Top 3 things to know from
  • Top 3 things to know from
  • : 0

A determined Dareus

Back practicing Tuesday was Marcell Dareus, who http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_51.html returned from a strained hamstring. Although his reps were managed the defensive tackle was effective in practice early. During a 9-on-7 run game period, Dareus routinely forced inside runs to bounce outside and he and Kyle Williamseffectively clogged up the middle. Dareus cannot be handled one-on-one, but even on some double teams his could not be moved from inside gaps.

I have something to prove to myself, to my teammates, to our fans,Dareus said of the upcoming season. I just want to do my best. If Im doing my best, I know its good enough.

Dareus thrived in an attack-style scheme three years ago that ran a 4-3 front and defensive coordinator said they’ll be sending their front four in much the same way. Dareus, who is used to being disruptive, is looking forward to being productive in the new system and feels he has a firm handle on whats expected of him.

With this defense with (coach) McDermott, he did a great job with that,said Dareus. He strategically clarified every position for everybody. If you do your job everything else takes care of itself. We still have a little bit more jelling to do, but for the most part everything has been clear cut for us.

Ragland inside and out

Linebacker Reggie Ragland is close to a year removed from suffering his torn ACL. It was Aug. 5th last year that it happened. Tuesday was his third http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_42.html day in pads and he feels like he’s carrying his weight well.

The more and more I keep getting at it, the more and more Im feeling better,he said. Im taking it day by day. Today my leg felt good with the pads on so I just have to keep getting better and better.

And as much as fans and outside observers want to make the middle linebacker role an issue, head coach Sean McDermott has taken a different approach when it comes to Ragland.

Theres a plan for every player. Reggies (plan), again, second-year player coming off of the injury he came off of. Really, this is his first year,said McDermott. Acclimating him to practice tempo he missed most of the spring acclimating him to the system and putting him in position, like we try to do with all of our players, to have success; success early, and success in the long term. I like what he did the other day the second day in pads. I saw a physical aspect of his game, an emotional aspect of his game that we need in our defense. A lot of work remains for all of us, including Reggie at this point.

In Tuesday’s practice, Ragland was deployed at middle linebacker with the second unit for most of the day, but he also lined up outside for a snap or two in base defense with rookie Matt Milano at the mike linebacker position. He also lined up Michael Thomas Womens Jersey outside of Milano in the second-team nickel package as one of the two linebackers.

It could be a byproduct of the fact that Lorenzo Alexander had the day off and Tanner Vallejo rotated up to the starting unit in Alexander’s place, but it seems obvious they want to see just how versatile Raglands game can be.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:11 AM #5862

Gase sees difference in ru
  • Gase sees difference in ru

A bunch of Dolphins notes after Day 6 of training camp on Wednesday:

Its too soon to know if the http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_35.html Dolphins’ run defense, which tied for last in the league in yards allowed per carry (4.8), is appreciably better. But early signs in training camp are encouraging.

A bunch of runs have been stopped for short gains, no gains or losses. And though there have been some big runs, there’s a clear difference from a year ago.

Ive noticed a difference with the d-line,coach Adam Gase said. Theyre so sound right now. They are closing things down in the running game very quickly. Its been very difficult running the football, especially in the edge.

New defensive end William Hayes has helped in that regard. And the defensive tackle play, a concern, has been pretty stout. Vincent Taylor, the rookie sixth-rounder, made a couple of impressive stops in the running game Wednesday, albeit against other backups.

They are hammering it good those second, third groups,Gase said, noting that some runs are still gaining good yards. Its all about consistency.

The unanswered question, of course, is whether the strong play of the run defense is partly a reflection of poor offensive line play, with http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_50.html the Dolphins continuing to hold center Mike Pouncey out of team drills.

We learned a lot what we needed to improve on schematically,Gase said of his defense. There are times everyone was on the same page [last season] and sometimes we would be way off and gashed in the running game and passing game. We added some guys with veteran presence.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:56 AM #5863

It’s Summer, Time to Catch
  • It’s Summer, Time to Catch

Suggestions for selecting that http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_28.html classic aestival staple, a good book Editor’s note: Summer is traditionally the season when we devote more time to books weve been meaning to read (or reread). Below, NRO friends and family offer their recommendations.   Richard Brookhiser Here is the ultimate reading experience for political junkies who are sick of the politics of the age of Trump: the Library of Americas new two-volume set of The Diaries of John Quincy Adams, 17791848. I have reviewed them for the Wall Street Journal, but let me also bang the drum here.

Adams, son of the second president, and sixth president himself, was smart, omnivorous, observant, bitchy, and hilarious (though always unintentionally). His diplomatic career took him to Holland, Prussia, Russia, and England. His congressional career took him to the Senate and the House. He worked for George Washington, and he was introduced to Charles Dickens. We learn, in Ghent, how treaties get made. We study the original permanent campaign, the eight-year-long struggle to succeed James Monroe among three of his cabinet secretaries, the speaker of the House, and a populist general. We get high foreign policy, as the Monroe Doctrine is crafted, and grinding congressional detail, as Adams fights the House’s gag rule against anti-slavery petitions. This last effort shows Adams at his worst http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_33.html and his glorious best — acerbic, obnoxious, principled, heroic. He beats the shameless, spouting slaveholders like a drum. He reads three languages, he writes poems, he attends church twice on Sunday and notes the sermons, he watches eclipses, ignores his wife except when she is sick, grieves over the deaths of his children and his mother, and always always worries that he is not doing enough for his country.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:59 AM #5864

CB Stephon Gilmore says he
  • CB Stephon Gilmore says he

I feel comfortable,Gilmore said. At OTAs I was a little, you know, hesitant sometimes and in minicamp. But I think that helped http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_42.html me out a lot. This is the second time we’ve gone over the install. So Its always easier the second time you go over it and the more communication youre going over with your secondary, so it makes everything easier.

Gilmore is a terrific CB and a very talented athlete, but that doesn’t automatically mean hell thrive if he cant pick up a new defensive system. It sounds like thats not really been an issue so far.

He was also asked about another new addition to the team: former New Orleans Saints WR Brandin Cooks. He and Cooks were two of the biggest offseason additions for New England, and they’re part of the reason that many believe the Patriots could make a serious Super Bowl run. Specifically, Gilmore was asked how fast Cooks was, as a guy who has covered a lot of fast wideouts in his career.

Fast,” Gilmore said. If he get going on http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_32.html top of you, he’s very fast. But I try to get up to the line of scrimmage and get my hands on him to [stop it] before it starts.

New England has a stock of very capable wideouts, but they didn’t have anyone with the top-end speed that Cooks can bring. If hell get enough targets to keep him happy remains to be seen, but it sounds like Stephon Gilmore has been facing him in practice and is impressed with what he can do.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:11 AM #5865

Gase sees difference in ru
  • Gase sees difference in ru

A bunch of Dolphins notes after Day 6 http://www.authentic...rsey-c-1_2.html of training camp on Wednesday:

Its too soon to know if the Dolphinsrun defense, which tied for last in the league in yards allowed per carry (4.8), is appreciably better. But early signs in training camp are encouraging.

A bunch of runs have been stopped for short gains, no gains or losses. And though there have been some big runs, there’s a clear difference from a year ago.

Ive noticed a difference with the d-line,coach Adam Gase said. Theyre so sound right now. They are closing things down in the running game very quickly. Its been very difficult running the football, especially in the edge.

New defensive end William Hayes has helped in that regard. And the defensive tackle play, a concern, has been pretty stout. Vincent Taylor, the rookie sixth-rounder, made a couple of impressive stops in the running game Wednesday, albeit against other backups.

They are hammering it good those second, third groups,Gase said, noting that some runs are still gaining good yards. Its all about consistency.

The unanswered question, of course, is whether the strong play of the run defense is partly a reflection of poor offensive line play, with http://www.coltsshop...rsey-c-1_2.html the Dolphins continuing to hold center Mike Pouncey out of team drills.

We learned a lot what we needed to improve on schematically,Gase said of his defense. There are times everyone was on the same page [last season] and sometimes we would be way off and gashed in the running game and passing game. We added some guys with veteran presence.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:08 PM #5866

Sure, it’s just the preseason opener the first of five preseason exhibitions the Cowboys have to play this year. But on a weekend when http://www.officialn...5897-p-693.html team owner/general manager Jerry Jones is being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the atmosphere promises to be a special one.

With a lengthy preseason still in front of them, the Cowboys aren’t likely to give their starters too much playing time at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium on Thursday night. Instead, it figures to be a youth movement, as the Cowboyscoaching staff gets its first look at this years rookies and depth players in a game environment.

As is customary, the full staff of DallasCowboys.com have chosen two players each – one on offense, one on defense to watch as the Cowboys square off against the Cardinals.

Rob Phillips

RB Rod Smith: Smith has been one of the best stories of camp so far. He's back at tailback, his natural position, and he's running with explosion and authority in these training camp practices. He's had a cup of coffee on the active roster before, but his versatility as a special teams player makes him an intriguing candidate to win a backup spot behind Ezekiel Elliott. If the former Buckeye gets a few carries tonight, he'll look to make the most of them.

DE Taco Charlton: The Cowboys' first-round pick has actually played in Canton before as a high-school junior growing up in Ohio. He'll have a lot more eyes on him tonight. The last few days of training camp have been better than the first. He seems to have improved his technique and his balance, and he's winning more in the pass rush. A strong showing in a homecoming of sorts could really boost his confidence entering the second half of camp.

David Helman

FB Keith Smith: I’ll take the other Smith currently working in the Cowboysbackfield. Its remarkable to remember that this guy spent his first preseason as a linebacker, then made the switch to fullback with no guarantees that itd work out. Almost two years later, I consider him a lock to make this team and with good reason. Hes surprisingly natural as a receiver, and I think the coaching staff trusts him to take some work as a runner, as well. Ezekiel Elliott and Darren McFadden are unlikely to play in this game at all, and I wonder if Alfred Morris will get much work, either. Im not going to be surprised if http://www.officialp...sey-c-9_81.html Keith Smith winds up as the second-leading rusher behind Rod Smith in this game.

S Xavier Woods: The rookie safety hasn’t flashed much at training camp but its not as though hes had a ton of opportunity. Woods is stuck behind a lot of experienced players, so hes currently running with the third-team at the tail end of practice. Tonight, hell hopefully get much more playing time than that. Im hoping Woods will get to play most of, if not the entire second half. Working against the Cardinalsreserves, hopefully well get to see some of those playmaking instincts that excited the Cowboys enough to trade up in the draft to get him.

Nick Eatman

TE Rico Gathers: This is probably the easiest one to watch because I’ll have plenty of other Cowboys fans right along with me trying to check him out. Some days he looks like a young prospect who might have a chance to become something great. Other days he looks like he hasnt played football since he was 13 before last year. So this game will be interesting to see how far hes come in one full year. We know Jason Witten wont play this game and I wouldnt expect Geoff Swaim and/or James Hanna to get a ton of reps either, considering they missed all summer with injuries. Gathers will get his chances in this game. I think we need to be just as focused on his blocking as his pass-catching. If he doesnt catch the ball, its an incomplete pass. If he misses a block, it could be worse.

S Kavon Frazier – He seems like somewhat of a forgotten guy at safety. I dont think the coaches have forgotten him at all, but with Jeff Heath taking over as the starter and the Cowboys drafting Xavier Woods and signing Robert Blanton in free agency, Frazier has slid under the radar. Sometimes, thats a good thing. He looks like hes Andre Tippett Authentic Jersey bulked up considerably in the offseason. He was already a good tackler in space. I think it’ll be important to see his range and movement and how well he reacts in the passing game. It certainly wouldnt hurt for him to make a few standout plays on special teams.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:26 PM #5867

Riverdale alumni, NFL line
  • Riverdale alumni, NFL line

RIVERDALE — Giving back to the community in http://www.cheapdolp...sey-c-1_35.html which they come from is a goal for many professional athletes. Riverdale native Cordy Glenn is the latest to stay true to his roots.

Glenn is a current member of the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League. In 2016, he signed a five-year contract extension worth $65 million with $30 million guaranteed. At the time, the contract made Glenn the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL.

The Riverdale High alumni used some of that money to give back to his Alma Mater last week. Glenn donated 90 pairs of Nike cleats to the program for players to use during the upcoming season.

This is a very special deal for so many of our players,Riverdale head coach Terry Herrod said. A large number of our guys before today http://www.cheappatr...sey-c-1_39.html had never owned a new pair of football cleats. We have been recycling cleats for the past five years. Cordy impacted a lot of young men today with his gift.”

Glenn is a 2008 graduate of Riverdale where he played under current Mount Zion head coach Kevin Jones. He was named to the PrepStar All-America Team and was a 2007 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super Southern 100 selection. The AJC also named him a Class AAAA All-State Honorable Mention in 2007.

He then moved on to the University of Georgia, where he earned First Team All-SEC honors during his senior season. He is tied for first in Matt Darr Kids Jersey career starts with Clint Boling at 50. Glenn was drafted in the second round of the 2012 Draft by the Bills.

Glenn is currently preparing for the upcoming NFL season. The Bills begin training camp Thursday.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:46 PM #5868

Bills build love by sharin
  • Bills build love by sharin

Pittsford, NY - While Sean McDermott preaches 4-3 defense and zone run blocking to the Bills, he's also preaching love.

Two or three times a week, McDermott has one http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_17.html of the Bills stand up before a team meeting and talk about their background or their life story.

"It's been inspirational, emotional. I know I've cried at a couple of them," Lorenzo Alexander said.

"It’s very intimate in nature and private, as you can imagine," McDermott said. "You watch the look on the players faces and the staffs faces that are in there and its a pretty dialed-in moment."

It's also something players from 12 year vets like Kyle Williams to rookies like Dion Dawkins say they've never seen before.

McDermott hasn't seen a head coach try it either, thought he admits experimenting with something similar as a defensive coordinator.

"When you build any type of team, as far as we're concerned, you need to know your teammates," McDermott said. "What better way to know your teammate than for individuals to share their personal stories."

"You got the opportunity to see, to pull back the curtain and see where guys come from," Williams said.

"I know more about some of my teammates that just got here than some of my buddies that I've been friends with on the team for five years," said center Eric Wood.

Jerry Hughes is one of the players who has done the speaking. He talked about his parents. "i have a fantastic mom and dad."

He also has a new friend.

"I'm actually building a relationship with an offensive guard. We're hanging out, talking. Getting to know him a lot better. I love it," Hughes said.

While his players get to know each other, McDermott is also making a point to know them. Eric Wood says McDermott will ask about players' wives by their first name. He's doesn't talk only to superstars or veterans. It's rookies, too.

"He sat down with us the other day just to talk with us while we were eating. Just me and another rookie," quarterback Nate Peteman said. "Never been in the NFL, but I don't know many other coaches that do that. It really meant a lot."

Dawkins says he feels more comfortable going to McDermott with questions after getting to know him better. If he doesn't understand instructions from his position coach, Dawkins can get clarification from McDermott "not from a coach to http://www.billsjers...sey-c-1_51.html a player, but from a man to a man."

Dawkins adds that McDermott is nothing like the "stuck-up" reputation expected from NFL coaches.

"He eats with us. He raps it up with us. He's just a cool coach. He's a genuine guy," Dawkins said. "He's normal."

Developing that relationship with players, especially rookies, can be valuable in ways beyond learning a playbook or team bonding. It Jerry Hughes Authentic Jersey can head off possible serious problems before they start--football related or otherwise.

"Every year in camp, you hear about a player walking away from the game or having an absence or just leaving because you don't know what they're going through," Alexander said. "When your head coach takes the time--somebody that we put on a pedestal--comes down, wants to talk to you and really get to know you as a man, it's that much better."

The impromptu soul-spilling at meetings is also easing the NFL transition for rookies. Not to mention the speed at which new guys get to know their teammates.

"I've gotten to talking with a few of these guys just in person," Peterman said. "Somehow, they seem to share more in front of everybody else."

"You walk around and guys are always joking, smiling, just being like regular dudes," Dawkins said. "Then, they get up in front of the team room and they tell a story and it's like, 'Wow. I never thought that was something that you were going through'."

Alexander thinks all this will help the Bills because it's not a psychological game. It's McDermott being himself.

"The good (coaches) have done a good job of playing to their character and what they believe in and not trying to be somebody that they're not," Alexander said. "Sean has done a great job of doing that."

Danny Crossman, now on his third head coach as the man in charge of special teams, tried to sum up McDermott's coaching personality.

"He is an unquestioned leader with a fabulous, loving touch. I know that’s going to sound weird when we sit here and talk about football circles," Crossman said. "Theres no question who is in command. At the same time, you know he cares and how deeply he cares."

Kyle Williams thought the assessment was spot on.

"He's a coach that holds guys accountable," Williams said. "Has a very clear line of where you need to stand and what you need to be doing, but he also wants us to come together as a team to love each other, love your teammate, love everybody around you."

That love can certainly lead to wins or, at the very least, effort.

"We're from all different walks of life," Richie Incognito O.J. Simpson Kids Jersey said. "We're a big family and to hear from these guys and hear what they've been through, it makes me want to work that much harder for them."

Which should make that 4-3 and zone blocking stuff come together a bit quicker.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:23 AM #5869

Cleveland Browns Top 25: J
  • Cleveland Browns Top 25: J

We have ranked the top 25 players on http://www.officialv...sey-c-2_37.html the Browns roster with a projection of what to expect in 2017 as well as looking back on last season.

College >> Boise State

Ranking >> 15th of 25

Taylor’s background >> Jamar Taylor is a classic example of how a change of scenery can save a players career.

Taylor was a second-round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2013 — pick 54 overall. He played in nine games without a start as a rookie and in 24 games over the next two seasons.

The Dolphins gave up on Taylor and on April 30, 2016, traded him plus the 250th pick in the draft that year to the Browns for the 223rd pick. Advantage, Browns.

The 250th pick turned out to be linebacker Scooby Wright from Arizona. Wright was eventually cut, but Taylor ended up starting 14 games for the Browns. For the record, the Dolphins used the 223rd pick on quarterback Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky. Doughty is still on the Dolphins roster.

The Browns gave Taylor a three-year contract extension soon after the 2016 season ended.

Hes an extremely hard worker and has shown true perseverance throughout his NFL career,said Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown. His veteran presence and flexible skill set that allows him at nickel and corner has proved to be a valuable asset to our team.

Taylor enjoys snowboarding in his spare time.

Why Taylor is ranked 15th >> Taylor doesn’t get tested as often as left cornerback Joe Haden does, but he is an integral part of the defense as someone who can play the right cornerback and slot. The Brownsdecision to give him contract http://www.officialv...sey-c-2_34.html extension is proof he is in their plans for a time when they hope to be competitive.

2016 recap >> Taylor played in 15 games and made 14 starts. He tied for the Browns team lead with Briean Boddy-Calhoun with three interceptions and led the secondary with 57 tackles. He broke up 13 passes, also best on the team. Taylor earned Most Improved Player from Pro Football Focus for the turn around from his final year in Miami to his first year with the Browns. He was ranked 106th by PFF in 2015 and 19th last year.

Why Taylor is important to 2017 >> One reason Taylor was more successful last season than he was in Miami is he played about one third of his snaps covering the slot receiver as the nickel back. He played nickel only five percent of the time with the Dolphins.

The Browns are counting on him to take on more of a leadership role this season.

Hes pretty soft-spoken so he really doesnt say a whole lot,defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker said. At the same time, you can just see his leadership through his work ethic.

Prediction for 2017 >> Taylor is in a different system with Dan Herron Jersey Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator, but his role in coverage won’t change much. He had enough sustained success last year that at 26 he should be in the prime of his career.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:14 AM #5870

GREEN BAY – Last year right around this time, on a poorly painted football field in Canton, Ohio, Mason Crosby got a chance to chat http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_37.html with the kicker everyone in the business would love to emulate.

The Colts’ Adam Vinatieri had just as little to do as Crosby in preparation for the Hall of Fame non-game, so the conversation went beyond the usual pleasantries. Crosby wanted to find out what he could about Vinatieris longevity secrets as the Canton-bound kicker was about to begin his, at the time, 21st season in the NFL.

I picked Adams brain last year, and hes like, You know, it does get harder every year, but you find ways to improve and keep your mind and body sharp, and just work that much harder every time,’” Crosby recalled earlier this week. It keeps you motivated to keep you going.

Crosby, the Packers’ all-time leading scorer who has shown no signs of slowing down as he embarks on his second decade in Green Bay, would love to keep going as long as he can.

Vinatieri has put up numbers that stand on their own in the current era. At age 44, the four-time Super Bowl champion, after 10 seasons in New England, is now entering his 12th in Indianapolis. He ranks third in league history in field goals made and points scored, and he could top both charts sometime in 2018 if he can secure another contract beyond this season.

Crosby doesn’t concern himself with the stats, per se, but talking with Vinatieri reaffirmed that Green Bays sixth-round draft pick from 2007, who will turn 33 in a month and a day, takes the right approach to his craft.

I look at every offseason and make sure I find something thats going to get me better every year,Crosby said. As long as I do that and as long as I love coming here every day and working hard and my minds in it, Im going to go as long as I can perform.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers recently said he thought he was beginning the “back nineof his career, and perhaps the same could be said for Crosby. If youre meaning nine more years, yeah, that would be good, right?the avid golfer said with a smile.

What’s different for Crosby is he doesnt even feel like hes got 10 seasons under his belt. Five years ago, he suffered through his worst season as a pro, had to fight to keep his job the following summer, and has come out the other end better than he was.

Over the last four seasons (2013-16), Crosby has made 85.9 percent of his field goals (110-128), a significant jump from his 76.8 percent career http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_15.html conversion rate (152-198) up to that point.

I always talk about 2012 almost being like a re-set in my career,he said. I feel like from that year on, it was a whole new start for me. I feel good.

Crosby also hasn’t let the recent revolving door at long-snapper and holder knock him out of his rhythm.

Last year, the Packers changed punters in the final week of the preseason, claiming Jake Schum and parting ways with the holder (Tim Masthay) Crosby had worked with for six straight years.

Undrafted rookie Justin Vogel is now the only punter in camp, while another undrafted rookie, Derek Hart, is trying to win the snapping job Brett Goode held down for the last seven years, minus a brief injury absence late in 2015 and through the 2016 offseason.

"You've got to give Mason a lot of credit," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "That's a challenge, there's no doubt about it. He's got a lot of Josh Ferguson Kids Jersey patience, a lot of professionalism working with those guys.

I think he definitely has the right combination of demeanor and experience to work through that, but it's definitely a challenge."

So far in camp, Crosby is 14-of-15 in live field-goal periods, the only miss clanking the left upright from 42 yards out last Saturday.

The NFL being the ever-changing world that it is, there’s no guarantee more last-minute switches to the field-goal operation arent coming again this year, but Crosby isnt letting the possibility distract from his preparation.

Its one of those where, while Im in the moment, Im working with these guys, and were going to be the best unit we can be,he said. Those decisions arent mine to make, so I have to keep my head down and just keep making sure that Im as good as I can be right now, and getting these guys ready if they are the guys. Thats kind of the mindset.

Crosby’s also moving on from the disappointing finish to a great 2016 season, as he missed a first-quarter, 41-yarder in Atlanta in the NFC title game that snapped his NFL record for consecutive made field goals in the postseason at 23.

He had set the mark in Arizona the year before and then extended it with the two dramatic kicks from 50-plus in Dallas last January, the unquestioned high point of his career.

It was a great run,he said. Disappointed how it ended there in Atlanta, just how that game went. I just need to make that kick. Ive been so solid, just a little blip on the radar, have to flush and move on from.

I hope to obviously have more playoff opportunities and get another one rolling.

As for his regular-season franchise records, he’ll just keep piling on. With 1,267 career points, hes already more than 200 ahead of former leader Ryan Longwell, and with 262 field goals, hes three dozen ahead of Longwell atop that list.

In addition, he has the four highest single-season point totals and the seven longest field goals made in team history.

It’s mind-boggling to think how far out of Dj Fluker Authentic Jersey reach he’ll put his records by the time hes done, but Crosby doesnt seem close to that yet.

I feel almost young in my career as far as, its been five years now since 2012, and my mindset is just keep adding, just keep putting those numbers up, keep making kicks to help us score points and win games,he said.

At the end of the career, those will be things you look back and say it was an amazing run. My goal is to do it as long as possible.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:23 AM #5871

Two arrested on disorderly
  • Two arrested on disorderly

Plano police arrested Jorge L. Hernandez-Medina, 19, of the 800 http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_29.html block of West South Street, Plano, and a 14-year-old on charges of disorderly conduct July 30 at 11:13 p.m. in the 700 block of West Dearborn Street.

Police said they were summoned to Dearborn Street along with Little Rock-Fox Fire Protection District firefighters on a report of a small fire.

Upon further investigation, police said they determined that two people had set a small bag of leaves on fire and had fled the area.

A short time later, police said they located and arrested Hernandez-Medina and the teen. Police said Hernandez-Medina was later released on http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_42.html bond pending a court date later this month, while the juvenile was referred to Kendall County Juvenile Probations department.

Police said earlier in the morning on July 30 at approximately 3:02 a.m. they had been summoned along with firefighters to a shed on fire in the 300 block of West Dearborn Street.

Later in the morning, at approximately 4:39 a.m., police said they observed a gas can that was set on fire in the 800 block of West South Street. Police said the fire in the can was extinguished and no damage was reported.

Police said they are continuing to investigate all Ryan Tannehill Authentic Jersey three incidents for a possible connection.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:30 PM #5872

Hampton grad David Watford
  • Hampton grad David Watford

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver David Watford has http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_40.html been keeping his sleeves rolled up in training camp. Watford landed a spot on the Eagles practice squad last year. The 6-foot-2, 212-pounder accomplished this task as an undrafted free agent out of Hampton University. The next step for Watford is to secure a spot on the Eagles’ 53-man roster. He knows what he has do to in order to reach this goal.

I just have to keep working every day,Watford said. I just have to keep proving myself day in and day out. I have to keep working and finding the little things to do. I did get a lot of experience last year. Im just using that experience for this year. Im just trying to take it one day at a time to get better.

Watford has made a lot of strides over the past year. In 2015, he came out of Hampton as one of the top quarterback in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. He completed 167-of-315 passes for 2,088 yards with 21 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He made a big adjustment when he came to Eagles moving from quarterback to wide receiver.

It took a little while,Watford said. It wasnt easy. It was a tough transition in a sense because it take a lot of attention to detail. It was a lot of work and a lot of practice.

The NFL has already started, but the college football season is right around the corner. Watford keeps up with Hampton’s football program. He is one of a long list of Black college players in the NFL. HBCU football is well represented in the NFL. Hampton has produced some great players over the years such as Justin Durant, Kendall Langford and Chris Baker.

Its a lot of good competition,Watford said. Even though theyre smaller schools, theyre still very talented. There is a lot of guys from http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_41.html the MEAC who play in the NFL for a long time. They get a lot of opportunities.

I played against Javon Hargrave [former South Carolina State star] who plays for the [Pittsburgh] Steelers. He was a great player.

Watford credits the Pirates football program for getting him to this stage of his career. Hampton played a significant role in Watford’s development.

I definitely keep in touch with everybody,Watford said. During the summer, I go back and train at Hampton. I keep in touch with the strength coach, the football staff and all the players. I know the guys who are there. I try to mentor them as much as I can.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:49 PM #5873

A year ago Andrew Ford was
  • A year ago Andrew Ford was

A year ago Andrew Ford was just http://www.coltsshop...rsey-c-1_6.html competing for a chance to play. Now he’s competing for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award, which announced its preseason watch list Wednesday.

The gilded honor goes to the nation’s top senior quarterback for accomplishments on and off the field. Fourth-year juniors like Ford, are also eligible if they are on track to graduate with their class, which he is.

Ford is one of 47 passers on the watch list, which will be narrowed to 15 in September. The award will be bestowed on Dec.8 in Baltimore, Unitas’ hometown.

The Golden Arm Award values character, citizenship, integrity, leadership, and sportsmanship characteristics that were displayed by my father. These attributes were every bit as important as the quarterbacks completion rate or the number of touchdowns scored,says John C. Unitas, Jr., President of the Johnny Unitas Golden http://www.officialc...sey-c-1_18.html Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. “Despite his many accolades, my Dad never forgot his humble beginnings and that won him a permanent place in the hearts of everyone who ever knew him.

Ford, a 6-foot-3 Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, native, transferred to UMass last year after spending one year at Virginia Tech and one in junior college.

Ross Comis won the starting quarterback job out of camp. Ford unseated him in Game 3. They shared in the job in games five and six before a season-ending injury to Comis.

Ford found his stride down the stretch. In 10 games he completed 222-of-365 passes for 2,665 yards. He threw 26 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

He joins Adam Breneman (Mackey Award, Biletnikoff Award, Wuerffel Trophy), Andy Isabella (Biletnikoff), Steve Casali (Nagurski Award) and Logan Stefon Diggs Womens Jersey Laurent (Guy Award) on preseason watch lists.

Matt Vautour can be reached at mvautour@gazettenet.com. Get UMass coverage delivered in your Facebook news feed at www.facebook.com/GazetteUMassCoverage

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:41 PM #5874

Fowler Predicts T.J. Watt
  • Fowler Predicts T.J. Watt

Training camp is always a long process, but sometimes there are simply things that it doesn’t take long to get a feel for. For Jeremy Fowler, the http://www.authentic...rsey-c-1_4.html ESPN writer has a feeling in the early stages of training camp for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and that is this: rookie first-round draft pick T.J. Watt is going to be hard to keep off the field.

For somebody who is not projected to be a starter, that is not necessarily a statement that you hear all the time. But the outside linebacker has been seriously impressing his coaches, his teammates, and everybody else who has watched him all through the spring and into the first couple of days of padded practices.

While he may have had his hands full with “Big Alover at left tackle, Watt has shown that his nose has been in the play book and that he is developing an arsenal of pass-rushing moves that does include a speed rush.

The first-round pass-rusher was a fast learner in the spring, Fowler writes, with a quick first step and good discipline in the defense. If he progresses as the Steelers hope he will, the team has the option to rest Harrison early in the season and get Watt valuable snaps alongside Dupree.

Harrison is, of course, James Harrison, the 39-year-old former Defensive Player of the Year, who regained his starting position by the end http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_16.html of last season. Previously rotating with Jarvis Jones, who was getting the lion’s share of snaps, the veteran was hardly even coming off the field by the time the playoffs arrived.

And Dupree would be referring to Bud Dupree, the other former first-round draft pick at the outside linebacker position that is still on the roster. The third-year pass-rusher is expected to have a big breakout year this season after showing promise at the end of last season, returning from sports hernia surgery that sidelined him for most of the year.

While Harrison may be the starter, the plan has always been that he will get his rest, and even he knows that he needs his rest. He told reporters that he is comfortable playing 45 to 55 snaps per game, but even that is a light workload for the number of snaps that the defense has faced in an average game in recent years.

The coaching staff has also been testing Watt to Darrius Heywardbey Youth Jersey see how many things they can throw at him. They already have him working in dropping into dynamic coverages and even flipping sides with Dupree. He has of course been afforded the opportunity to work with the first-team defense while Harrison is being held out.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:40 PM #5875

Fowler Predicts T.J. Watt
  • Fowler Predicts T.J. Watt

Training camp is always a long process, but sometimes there are simply things that it doesn’t take long to get a feel for. For Jeremy Fowler, the http://www.authentic...rsey-c-1_4.html ESPN writer has a feeling in the early stages of training camp for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and that is this: rookie first-round draft pick T.J. Watt is going to be hard to keep off the field.

For somebody who is not projected to be a starter, that is not necessarily a statement that you hear all the time. But the outside linebacker has been seriously impressing his coaches, his teammates, and everybody else who has watched him all through the spring and into the first couple of days of padded practices.

While he may have had his hands full with “Big Alover at left tackle, Watt has shown that his nose has been in the play book and that he is developing an arsenal of pass-rushing moves that does include a speed rush.

The first-round pass-rusher was a fast learner in the spring, Fowler writes, with a quick first step and good discipline in the defense. If he progresses as the Steelers hope he will, the team has the option to rest Harrison early in the season and get Watt valuable snaps alongside Dupree.

Harrison is, of course, James Harrison, the 39-year-old former Defensive Player of the Year, who regained his starting position by the end http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_16.html of last season. Previously rotating with Jarvis Jones, who was getting the lion’s share of snaps, the veteran was hardly even coming off the field by the time the playoffs arrived.

And Dupree would be referring to Bud Dupree, the other former first-round draft pick at the outside linebacker position that is still on the roster. The third-year pass-rusher is expected to have a big breakout year this season after showing promise at the end of last season, returning from sports hernia surgery that sidelined him for most of the year.

While Harrison may be the starter, the plan has always been that he will get his rest, and even he knows that he needs his rest. He told reporters that he is comfortable playing 45 to 55 snaps per game, but even that is a light workload for the number of snaps that the defense has faced in an average game in recent years.

The coaching staff has also been testing Watt to Darrius Heywardbey Youth Jersey see how many things they can throw at him. They already have him working in dropping into dynamic coverages and even flipping sides with Dupree. He has of course been afforded the opportunity to work with the first-team defense while Harrison is being held out.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:15 AM #5876

Crowded House; Steelers ha
  • Crowded House; Steelers ha

Their All-Pro wide receiver spent the day welcoming newborn son Apollo into the world. Their talented but enigmatic project watched http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_29.html practice in a long-sleeved T-shirt and shorts waiting for the NFL to fully reinstate him after a year away from the game for running afoul of the league's substance abuse policy.

The guy with more receptions of 40-yards or more than anyone on the team last fall jogged around with his surgically repaired left knee wrapped in ice.

Oh, and perhaps the NFL's best running back remains in Miami, his pen yet to sign his franchise tender.

And yet even without Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Sammie Coates and Le'Veon Bell on Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger weren't exactly lacking for options.

There was veteran Justin Hunter — trying to catch on in Pittsburgh after splitting last season with Miami and Buffalo using every inch of his 6-foot-4 frame to haul in a pass in the back of the end zone. There was Eli Rogers a slot guy by trade lining up on the outside and winning a 50/50 ball. There was 20-year-old rookie Juju Smith-Schuster fresh off an ankle injury that forced the second-round pick to watch the opening few days of camp from the sideline - making a sliding grab one minute then showing off his blocking prowess for former Steeler wide receiver Hines Ward the next.

Brown will slip back into his familiar No. 1 role when he returns. Bryant will be given every chance to show he can be the No. 2 provided he keeps taking all the necessary steps. After that, the picture is considerably blurry. And that's a good thing for an offense that expects to be among the NFL's most dynamic.

Maybe that's why Roethlisberger is even chattier than usual these days. The depth and diversity at wide receiver has never been greater in his 14-year career. So is the potential.

"I want them to know what I see and I http://www.authentic...sey-c-2_64.html expect when we're out there," Roethlisberger said.

Namely, production. Lots of it.

Roethlisberger won't lack for options, a sharp contrast to the makeshift group the Steelers took to New England in January. Bryant was suspended. Coates wasn't anywhere close to 100 percent. Markus Wheaton was on injured reserve. Tight end Ladarius Green in sweats dealing with a concussion.

In their place were seventh-round pick Demarcus Ayers and undrafted free agents Rogers and Cobi Hamilton. Hamilton provided Pittsburgh's lone touchdown, a 30-yard rainbow to save a little face at the end of a 36-17 blowout. It was also a cap on Hamilton's rise from a player who began 2016 on his couch to significant contributor on a division champion.

Seven months later, Hamilton is well aware a job come early September is anything but assured. That's the business.

"Every team drafts a wide receiver, every team went out and got a wide receiver from another team," Hamilton said. "This is kind of how it goes."

Brown, Bryant and Smith-Schuster's spots are secure. Darrius Heyward-Bey remains one of the fastest players in the league and is a special teams ace. That leaves two spots at most to emerge from a cluttered group that includes Hunter, who has played for three teams over the course of the last two seasons searching for the right landing spot.

Hunter has spent most of the opening week Chuck Howley Youth Jersey working with the starters while Bryant clears the league-mandated procedural hurdles required to end his winding path back to the team. The former second-round pick hasn't wasted any time making an impression, making at least one highlight reel grab during every session.

"I thrive off competition," Hunter said. "I like the offense and how they distribute the ball real well during the season. I just wanted to be a part of it."

Hunter and Smith-Schuster give the Steelers some insurance in case of another misstep by Bryant, one that Bryant knows would likely end his career. He and Roethlisberger sat down for a heart-to-heart recently to clear the air after Bryant took issue with the quarterback's public admonishment of him following Bryant's most recent suspension.

Roethlisberger stressed he and Bryant "were never really off the same page" and that "there never was an issue." Roethlisberger is more concerned with getting Bryant back on the field, saying Bryant has "paid his dues."

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:28 AM #5877

Fielding an upgraded defen
  • Fielding an upgraded defen

For all of the moves the New Orleans Saints have made this offseason, the book on the team remains the same.

As long as Drew Brees and Sean Payton are in http://www.officialp...sey-c-9_82.html charge, the offense will be explosive.

But the defense has to carry more of the weight.

The Saints finished 28th in the NFL or worse in scoring defense in each of the past three years. Now, in training camp, Dennis Allen's unit must improve for the team to be a playoff contender.

"Our defense has to improve, and we’ve brought some guys in at every level with the D-line, the linebackers and safeties," general manager Mickey Loomis said Wednesday. "I feel good about the additions, but were going to have to get into this training camp and get into the early part of the season to see what the results are."

Injuries crippled the Saints' best-laid plans for defensive personnel the past two seasons, and Allen spent last year constantly tweaking his scheme to account for players moving in and out of the lineup.

"You know, in our league, you never know what's going to happen," Allen said. "All of a sudden, you have an injury or somebody's released, and now you've got to adjust your thought process."

With that in mind, the Saints spent the offseason determined to build depth at all levels of the defense.

New Orleans added edge rusher Alex Okafor, linebackers A.J. Klein and Manti Te'o, brought back safety Rafael Bush and spent five of its seven draft picks on defensive players.

"We're pretty much starting from scratch," defensive end Cameron Jordan said. "Three or four new linebackers, we've got another edge defender in Alex Okafor. We've got two new young guys in (Al-Quadin Muhammad) and Trey (Hendrickson). Hau'oli (Kikaha) is coming back healthy. You talk about the secondary — I don't know what the shape of that's going to be, but I do know this defense has high potential."

Allen's defense suffered at least one major blow http://www.officialp...sey-c-2_16.html before the team even reported for training camp last week.

When defensive tackle Nick Fairley was forced to the sideline for at least this season because of a heart condition, New Orleans lost a player who recorded 6½ sacks last season and was expected to be an integral part of the pass rush.

"The only area that was a step back initially would be Nick Fairley," Payton said. "That being said, we feel pretty good with some of the draft picks, some of the free agents — I mentioned the secondary. Some of these young guys are going to play.

"I know we are deeper at linebacker. When you just look from last year to this year, we are going to be better on defense. Now, in which areas and how much better is going to be important."

Allen's job in training camp is sifting through all his options to find the right mix in the starting lineup.

He can adjust his defense to fit just about any personnel group.

Figuring out what that personnel group should be is the tough part.

"At the end of the day, when we start playing games, the biggest thing is how do we get our best 11 players on the field, and how do we as a coaching staff try to do the things that they do the best?" Allen said.

The Saints defense is focused on other big-picture goals in training camp — namely forcing turnovers and playing better situational football.

NFL defenses have an almost endless database of information on opposing offenses, and good teams sift through that information to get a better idea of what a quarterback is trying to do on a given play.

"You can start eliminating what the offense is trying to do based on the situation, the formation and what time of game it is," safety Kenny Vaccaro said.

New Orleans is also focused on creating more turnovers after Terrance West Youth Jersey finishing in the middle of the pack a year ago.

"It's the biggest factor in today's game," Vaccaro said. "You can be last in the league in total yards but lead the league in turnovers — especially with the way we've been struggling the last couple of years and to get turnovers, it can be a quick change, quick turnaround."

New Orleans has focused on all of these keys in previous seasons, too.

But the Saints know they need to turn the corner.

"I've said it in years before: We have high potential, but this year, we need to capitalize," Jordan said. "We need to recognize what we can be and reach for it."

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:41 AM #5878

Quick Hits: Khalil Mack Re
  • Quick Hits: Khalil Mack Re

The Oakland Raiders completed their first http://www.officialb...803-p-1519.html official practice of Training Camp 2017 Saturday afternoon, and reigning AP Defensive Player of the Year Khalil Mack seemed thrilled to be back on the field. Mack is entering his fourth season in the NFL, and is looking to continue his progression as one of the best pass-rushers in the league. Following practice, he took the podium to speak with reporters about a productive first day.

Here are the quick hits from his media session:

Mack spoke briefly about what it’s like seeing alumni of the team come out to Napa Valley for training camp.

Its always great to see those guys, and be amongst them, and learn from them. Glad to see them every time theyre here.

Hall of Famer Howie Long said Mack has yet to reach his full potential, but as good as he already is, No. 52 feels like he needs to accomplish more.

It speaks volumes when you hear from a guy like that, but just the mindset I have in general Im not even onWhatd he say? Level four? Level three? Yeah, Im not even that close yet. Im just out here trying to get better every day.

After recently attending Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller’s summit in San Francisco, Mack reflected on what it was like to be there.

It was dope, man. I thought at first it was going to http://www.officialb...rsey-c-1_9.html be something for the kids out this way in San Francisco, but when I got there it was only NFL guys, and I was like, whats going on?And he was like, bro, we came here to get some work.Luckily I had my cleats and I was like, alright, cool.It was good though, man. Got a lot of great information from Demarcus Ware and all the other guys that were there, and it was something that helped me.

With the rookies now in the fold, he’s taken notice of former Wake Forest linebacker Marquel Lee, and is anxious to see him play.

I mean, I wouldnt say in regards to me, because its a whole different kind of perspective, and whole different kind of position. But at the same time hes a hell of a player, I can see it already. He has that juice in him, you know what Im saying? Its something that I kind of talk to him here and there just to see where his minds at, but its something well figure out throughout the camp. When we put the pads on, thats when you can really figure out what type of player youre dealing with.

Mack touched on what’s next for the Sean Weatherspoon Womens Jersey Raiders defense in the coming weeks.

The next step is what you see now: training camp, coming out here, getting the camaraderie right, getting the cohesiveness together, getting everybody on the same page. You got everybody believing in one thing, and focusing on one thing, and trying to achieve one thing, and focusing on that, itll be skys the limit.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:13 PM #5879

Who should be in the Hall
  • Who should be in the Hall

This weekend, the Pro Football Hall of Fame http://www.billsonli...sey-c-1_42.html will enshrine the Class of 2017 in Canton, Ohio. Who should earn this honor next year? What about in 2022? Elliot Harrison looks ahead and shares who he would put on his ballot for the next five classes of Hall of Famers.

Brian Dawkins, safety

Putting Dawkins first on my faux ballot is intentional -- he's the most deserving. Dawkins has already waited one year. Given that he is a safety, a position to which the voters have demonstrated a decades-long aversion, he might have to sit next to the phone a bit longer in reality. But that's bunk. All of it, man. Forget that Dawkins was a four-time first-team All-Pro, the best player at his position in the early 2000s, or on the All-Decade Team for the 2000s, and remember what he wasn't: a distraction. (Take a look at the following names on this ballot for the relevance of that statement.) Remarkably, Dawkins isn't considered a shoo-in for the Hall despite compiling 91 impact plays over his career (37 interceptions, 28 forced fumbles and 26 sacks).

Unlike his contemporary Dawkins (both came into the league in 1996), Lewis won't have to wait. Lewis remains a lock for the Hall of Fame, as he http://www.billsshop...sey-c-1_36.html was oft-mentioned in that regard while still playing. He is part of an exclusive fraternity of players who have won multiple DPOY awards since the honor became official in 1971, a who's who of legends: "Mean" Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, Reggie White, Bruce Smith and J.J. Watt. All but the still-active Watt are first-ballot enshrinees in Canton. Lewis is one of only two guys to be named the league's top defensive player and Super Bowl MVP during the same season (Harvey Martin, who was named co-MVP of Super Bowl XII after being the DPOY of 1977). Named to the All-Decade Team of the 2000s, Lewis performed at a high level for well over 10 years with the Ravens.

Alan Faneca, guard

As a member of the Steelers from 1998 to 2007, Faneca had to get out in space and block Lewis a time or 200. Along with Steve Hutchinson, Faneca was the best player at his position in the early 2000s, making first-team All-Pro six times. When you talk about putting a guard in the Hall of Fame, you must mention the credentials, although sometimes that rings hollow. People get tired of hearing about Pro Bowls and the like. Thus, here are two items that more than support Faneca's enshrinement. Dermontti Dawson, a Hall of Fame Mario Williams Womens Jersey center for the Steelers, told me that he could tell Faneca was special during Faneca's first training camp. Also, in supporting Faneca's candidacy earlier this year, I pulled a random play in a random game from 2003 to share with the masses. Take a look:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:28 PM #5880

CohCsion key for success o
  • CohCsion key for success o

It was mentioned to Steelers guard Ramon Foster that during the heavy-hitting first training camp practice with pads Sunday, players from almost http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_40.html every position exited early because of injury or heat-related symptoms.

The offensive line, though, was spared.

Let's knock on wood on that,Foster said smiling.

A few hours later, Foster was standing on the sidelines in shorts watching the team's second padded practice. It likely was a precautionary day off for a ninth-year veteran coming back from offseason right knee surgery, but his absence was illustrative of the difficulty in keeping an offensive line intact if even for abbreviated periods of time.

Consider the Steelers this year will try to do something they have not accomplished since the 2005-06 seasons: start the same five offensive linemen in the season opener in successive years.

Be it because of injury, emerging draft picks or veterans departing via free agency, the last time the Steelers had all five returning starters on the line was the year after they won Super Bowl XL. Center Jeff Hartings was flanked by guards Kendall Simmons and Alan Faneca and tackles Marvel Smith and Max Starks.

Barring a training camp setback, the Steelers will start the same five linemen from the 2016 opener ­— center Maurkice Pouncey, guards David DeCastro and Foster, and tackles Marcus Gilbert and Alejandro Villanueva when they play in Cleveland on Sept. 10.

The health of the offensive line was a big reason the Steelers had an 11-5 record and advanced to the AFC Championship game last year. The line had only five man-games lost to injury, two by Foster and three by Gilbert.

For any offensive line, anyone knows that (cohesion) is the key,offensive line coach Mike Munchak said. Communication is so important in the NFL. The offense we run, with a lot of no-huddle with Ben (Roethlisberger), there are a lot of code words, a lot of adjustments during the game even within plays, it helps to have a veteran group that can handle things.

It's not easy.

Keeping Pouncey healthy is imperative. He http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_17.html hasn't played back-to-back seasons since 2011-12, missing all but a handful of snaps in 2013 and the entire season in 2015.

Gilbert started at least 12 games in each of the past four seasons. DeCastro has started all but one game the past four years. Foster has started at least 14 games in each of the past six seasons. Villanueva, the least-experienced regular on the line, has started 31 consecutive games (including playoffs) since moving into the starting lineup in the 2015 season.

You don't have lines like this in the league,Foster said. You don't have lines that have been together for a while. There is a lot of turnover in this league. To have guys together for this long, even some of the backups, is an awesome thing.

When Villanueva signed a four-year, $24 million contract last Thursday, it ensured all five linemen were under contract through at least 2018. DeCastro and Villanueva have deals that extend into the next decade, and Pouncey and Gilbert are signed for three more years apiece.

Even the backups are experienced playing in Munchak's system. Top reserves Chris Hubbard and B.J. Finney made starts last year, and 2016 fourth-round pick Jerald Hawkins spent his rookie season learning the system while on injured reserve.

If you notice, Pittsburgh is already building for the lines behind us already,Foster said. That's what they've done for years and years and years. When the older guys were in front of me, they were building me up.

Before this group gets pushed out, it would like to start in a Super Bowl. After coming up a game short last season, the Steelers linemen hope to build on the success attained in that campaign when they allowed the second-fewest sacks in the NFL and paved the way for running back Le'Veon Bell to rush for 1,268 yards in only 12 games.

We have to take advantage of it,DeCastro said. We've got a very small window to really take advantage of it and play good football.

Foster acknowledged it won't be easy, much Ronald Darby Youth Jersey like trying to start the same five linemen in successive years. But it helps the line includes a five-time Pro Bowl representative in Pouncey and a two-time recipient in DeCastro. Gilbert also is considered a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

The longer we play together and the better and better we get, the bigger the bull's-eye is,Foster said. We have to make sure we're on top of our jobs.

Reply to this topic