• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9820 replies to this topic

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:14 PM #8161

Bills LB Lorenzo Alexander
  • Bills LB Lorenzo Alexander
  • : 0

Lorenzo Alexander had a huge impact http://www.ravenssho...rsey-c-2_7.html on the Buffalo Bills defense in the 2016 season. Initially signed to be a special teamer, Alexander earned a starting role in Buffalo’s defense last summer. He took the opportunity and ran with it, as he recorded 76 tackles and 12.5 sacks for the Bills last season.

Alexander has now taken a leadership role in Buffalo’s locker room. When speaking to the media earlier this week, the 34-year-old praised Ramon Humber, a linebacker who has a background that is shockingly similar to that of Alexander. Humber, 30, was brought in by the Bills last season to play on special teams but he won a starting linebacker role in this past summers training camp.

Humber was impressive in the team’s 2017 season opener, as he recorded a team-high 12 tackles.

Hes going to continue to do that,Alexander told the Buffalo News. Theres certain guys that you know when you play with, youre like, hes probably just a teamer.But then theres other guys like, this dude can ball no matter http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_26.html what.’ Hes one of those guys that we trust. Were not out there like, oh, thats a weak link.Thats Ramon. We know hes got it. Hes going to lock it down.

Humber’s road to being a starting linebacker in the NFL has been a long one, a road that features many twists and turns. After going undrafted in the 2009 NFL Draft, Humber signed with the Indianapolis Colts. After a two-year stint in Indianapolis, Humber signed with the New Orleans Saints. He would spend the next six years of his NFL career with the Saints before joining Buffalo in August of 2016.

Hes old in this league now. People think that hes younger than what he is,Alexander said. Hes learned a lot of football. Hes been around a lot of great players, a lot of great teams, and hes always been productive when hes gotten his opportunity.

Alexander was right. While Humber has never been a superstar, he’s always taken advantage of the opportunities hes been afforded. While hes only started 19 games throughout his career, hes recorded 222 tackles.

Humber took advantage of another opportunity this past Sunday when he recorded 12 tackles and an interception on a two-point conversion against the Jets.

Humber and the Buffalo defense will take on Chaz Green Authentic Jersey the Cam Newton-led Carolina Panthers in Week 2. If Alexander’s comments are any indication, Humber will have yet another big outing this week.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:22 PM #8162

Kneeling for anthem, 1 yea
  • Kneeling for anthem, 1 yea

It was a scorching hot Saturday last Sept. 10 and Woodrow Wilson and Highland were ready to face off in what figured to be a key football game in the West Jersey Football League Royal Division.

Moments before kickoff there was no indication a http://www.officialb...ey-c-2_105.html national and International story was going to occur, nothing to dictate that the spotlight was going to shine as bright as that September sun on Woodrow Wilson coach Preston Brown and his coaches and players in the coming days, weeks and months.

But as the national anthem started to play, Brown took a knee. His coaches and players – all except two joined him.

Brown had decided a few days before he was going to take a knee as a way to speak out against economic disparities and social injustices. He had been inspired by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick making a similar gesture before a preseason game – and starting what would become a national controversy over his actions.

Brown told his team his plans so they wouldn’t be surprised, and unbeknownst to him, the majority decided to do so with him. They repeated the act for every anthem the rest of the season, changing course after Brown said they would only do it for two weeks because of how many calls and e-mails he received supporting their stance.

It’s been nearly a year since that opening game of the 2016 season which Highland went on to win, 13-7, in what became something of a footnote of the days events.

The teams will meet again this Friday night in what is expected to be another closely-contested, important game. Brown said on Wednesday night he hadn’t discussed with the team whether he would kneel for this game or what their plans were and had the mindset that everyone should make their own decisions.

Stories on NJ.com about the decision last http://www.officialb...sey-c-1_13.html September drew hundreds of comments. A 45-second video of the team kneeling has 91,000 views.

National and even International news agencies – the BBC did a piece the following week talked to Brown and the players and followed up on their stance. Brown admitted the attention was nothing he expected and even this week perhaps through the power of Google the school fielded 8-10 phone calls on the issue as if it just happened.

Brown noted 70 percent of the responses he has seen throughout the year have been positive, though there are plenty of commenters who have called for his firing and were further enraged when the school district and superintendent supported him.

Brown said this week he suspects some officials who don’t agree with the Tigersdecision have let it affect their impartiality.

"I was told by my AD that some refs didn’t want to ref our games," said Brown. We got a penalty for too many men on the field when we didnt have enough. One game they went to explain a call to the other coach and when I asked for an explanation I got a sideline warning. Against Moorestown, we were called off-sides when we werent even rushing in. We were told not to rush in during the final couple minutes of the Delsea game because they were going to take a knee, even though I said what if they fumble the snap? We got a penalty on an extra point for not enough people on the line that didnt make any sense.

In a lot of games there were some interesting calls and usually you just deal with it, but in close games that can cost you. And I still saw some questionable calls in one of our scrimmages this year.

Brown said he continued to sit or kneel as he assisted with the basketball program this past winter and some players did the same.

I dont regret decisions we made,said Brown, a Wilson graduate who is also the schools Dean of Culture and Climate. I still feel strongly about it. Theres been some improvements in some issues, but we still have issues. Theres questionable things happening.

"You see the (NFL player) Michael Thomas Davis Sr Kids Jersey Bennett (involved in a racial profiling incident) in Las Vegas. You look at who the President is and how many people are unhappy he is representing our nation and the things he has said publicly. You see what’s happening with (President) Trump now with DACA, which is going to affect some kids in our school if it goes through. Theres a great social economic divide and racial divide.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:37 AM #8163

Timmons wants to play; Som
  • Timmons wants to play; Som

A 12-pack of notes, a day after the Dolphins’ 19-17 season-opening win at the Los Angeles Chargers:

After missing Sundays game for an http://www.officialb...rsey-c-2_6.html undisclosed personal reason, Dolphins linebacker Lawrence Timmons is doing better and wants to resume playing immediately, according to a league source.

But Timmons must first meet with coach Adam Gase, and that meeting will help determine his Dolphins future.

In addition, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said Timmons is scheduled to meet with doctors today to determine the personalissue.

Gase has said he will discuss the matter at his 3 p.m. news conference.

Timmons left the team on Saturday and Dolphins officials didn’t determine his whereabouts until Sunday morning.

Sunday’s absence snapped Timmonsstreak of 101 consecutive starts, most in the league among front seven defenders.

Based on the naked eye, and some metrics from Pro Football Focus, the Dolphinsyoung players had mixed results Sunday.

Cornerback Xavien Howard was targeted a league-high 13 times in Week 2 and allowed a league-high 10 receptions for 87 yards, including a key one on San Diego’s final drive that ended with a missed field goal. His overall grade of 46.8 ranked 62nd among all cornerbacks for week two.

While linebacker Mike Hull - forced into a major role - held up in the running game, he allowed all nine passes thrown against him to be caught for 95 yards. The targets, receptions and yards allowed were all the most for any linebacker in http://www.officialb...sey-c-1_14.html coverage for Week 2.

Even if Rey Maualuga eventually replaces Hull, pass coverage at middle linebacker remains an enormous concern. Maualuga was out with a hamstring injury Sunday.

Hull played all 58 of Miami’s defensive snaps. Rookie Chase Allen, who started alongside Hull and Kiko Alonso, played 13 snaps and had an 81.3 grade, third highest among Dolphins defenders.

Rookie first-rounder Charles Harris played 27 snaps and had one quarterback hurry. In all, a relatively quiet debut.

While PFF ranked Davon Godchaux poorly for the day, he appeared to be playing well. He logged 32 of Miami’s 58 defensive snaps - more than Jordan Phillips21 - and was part of a Miami defense that limited the Chargers to 3.1 yards per carry.

On offense, Laremy Tunsil earning a run-blocking grade of 80.5, according to PFF, which makes the top 20 among all tackles. But he struggled in pass protection, permitting three QB hurries and two sacks and a hit in 32 pass-blocking snaps. His overall grade of 45.7 ranked 44th of all tackles in Week 2.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:27 AM #8164

Do you share a birthday wi
  • Do you share a birthday wi

When’s your birthday?

If it’s this month, then you may http://www.cheappatr...sey-c-1_27.html share it with some famous people, such as:

Sept. 1 – Gloria Estefan, Lily Tomlin, Barry Gibb, Alan Dershowitz, Rocky Marciano, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Dr. Phil.

2 – Keanu Reeves, Selma Hayek, Mark Harmon, Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Connors, Eric Dickerson.

3 – Alan Ladd.

4 – Beyonce Knowles, Tom Watson.

5 – Michael Keaton, Raquel Welch, Jesse James, Freddie Mercury, Bob Newhart.

8 – Peter Sellers, Patsy Cline.

9 – Colonel (Harland) Sanders, Hugh Grant, Adam Sandler, Rachel Hunter, Otis Redding.

10 – Roger Maris, Amy Irving, Randy Johnson.

11 – Paul BearBryant, Tom Landry, Harry Connick Jr.

12 – Maurice Chevalier, Jesse Owens.

13 – Walter Reed, Bill Monroe, Milton Hershey.

15 – Prince Harry, Tom Hardy, Tommy Lee Jones.

16 – Marc Anthony, B.B. King, David http://www.dolphinsj...sey-c-1_12.html Copperfield.

17 – Danny DeVito, Martin Scorsese, Rock Hudson.

18 – Greta Garbo, Robert Blake.

19 – Jimmy Fallon, Twiggy.

20 – Sophia Loren.

21 – Bill Murray, Faith Hill, Nicole Richie.

22 – Joan Jett, Jeremiah Wright.

23—Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles.

24 – Jim Henson.

25 – Will Smith, Christopher Reeve, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

26 – Serena Williams, Olivia Newton-John.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:05 AM #8165

Vikings defense can be eli
  • Vikings defense can be eli

Every Vikings player bears the scar http://www.officialp...5882-p-682.html of last year’s season-ending 3-8 skid, even though Mike Zimmer is quick to defend his prideful defense that started the year better than any team in the NFL.

We had two bad games,Zimmer said of the defense. I dont know about tapered off. We finished third in the league in points scored and every other statistical category.

In Zimmer’s third season at the helm, the Vikings defense recorded top-10 finishes in five major categories: yards allowed (third), passing yards allowed (third), sacks forced (fifth), points allowed (sixth) and takeaways (seventh).

The NFL took notice when they were the league’s last unbeaten team at 5-0.

Our team was clicking,defensive end Brian Robison said. Offense was putting up points. Defensively we were making plays.

Carrying the weight of an offense that http://www.ravenssho...sey-c-2_28.html failed to reach 21 points in seven of nine games, the Vikings defense, the team’s backbone, started to break.

Perfectly mediocre made a sour replacement for all-time great. That’s 8-8 for you.

Zimmer knows his defense, which featured five Pro Bowl players last season, is better than the record suggested. That’s why the Vikings extended the contracts of three cornerstones cornerback Xavier Rhodes, defensive end Everson Griffen and defensive tackle Linval Joseph this summer.

But Zimmer still tinkered with the unit that brought the Vikings back to relevancy. He made at least three lineup changes. The veteran defensive coach even considered giving up play-calling to better manage game days but quickly took back the play sheet this preseason.

He and his coaches are also encouraging Vikings defenders to generate a little recklessness within their well-oiled, tightly wound machine in the hope of interrupting offenses more at and behind the line of scrimmage.

Dont be satisfied with just, Hey, I did Koa Misi Authentic Jersey my job,’ ” said linebackers coach Adam Zimmer. Lets get more hats on the ball.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:59 PM #8166

OSTA MESA, Calif. -- Don’t get comfortable.

That’s basically the message from Los Angeles Chargers general manager Tom Telesco to players on his initial 53-man roster.

All the Chargers’ selections from this http://www.officialb...rsey-c-1_5.html year’s draft except second rounder Forrest Lamp (on injured reserve due to ACL knee surgery) and five undrafted rookies made the teams initial, 53-man roster. In all, 20 players on this years roster were not part of the initial, 53-man roster at the start of last season.

I like where we are right now,Telesco said in a conversation with reporters. I still think we have work to do. When you talk about the roster, its never over, its never done.

We made two claims today [Sunday]. There were some other claims that we made that we didnt get. But well keep after it and see if anybody else can help us moving forward. So its a never-ending process of trying to get the right team on the field.

The players the Chargers claimed were offensive lineman Michael Schofield and defensive back Jeff Richards off waivers, releasing receiver Geremy Davis and cornerback Craig Mager to make room on the 53-man roster.

Telesco said Schofield -- a third-round selection by the Denver Broncos in the 2014 draft who was released on Saturday -- will provide depth up front and should make an easy transition since the Broncos run the similar scheme.

Were looking at him as a guard more than http://www.officialb...ey-c-2_104.html a tackle,” Telesco said. But that fact that he has some versatility is nice. Were just looking to add depth on the offensive line.

As the year goes on it gets harder and harder to add some good depth at different positions, so you have an opportunity at the cut to 53 -- its a good place to do that. Hes tough, hes smart and hes been very durable and accountable there in Denver.

At 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, Telesco said Richards, claimed after the Carolina Panthers released him on Saturday, will start out at corner.

Telesco said releasing veteran safety Dwight Lowery was one of the team’s toughest cuts, but the Chargers felt they had solid depth at the position. Lowery, who played the most defensive snaps for the Chargers last season (961), was scheduled to make $2 million if on the teams roster in Week 1.

You try and do what you think is best for the football team at that moment,Telesco said. And we just felt like we had a pretty deep Jameis Winston Youth Jersey group at safety and all of those guys had done some positive things.

After a lot of discussion, it was a decision we had to make. Dwight did an excellent job for us last year. Hes a great pro, handles himself extremely well, and I still think he has football in front of him. It was a very difficult decision, but we went with the five that we have right now, and I think its a pretty strong group.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:53 PM #8167

Love, Hate and the first d
  • Love, Hate and the first d

They are calm.

I, however, am an emotional mess.

It is the morning of Aug. 28, 2017, at 8:28 a.m. The first day of kindergarten for my twin daughters, who turn 6 in October.

In just a few minutes, for the first time in http://www.cheappatr...sey-c-1_29.html their lives, they will go to the public elementary school in my town. They will ride the bus to and from there.

And the journey will have officially started.

We took them shopping and as they carefully considered lots of different clothes, shoes and sparkly backpacks, I was fine.

There was an orientation meeting at the school and we took them to meet their teachers, see where their classrooms were and learn where to get on and off the bus. I was fine.

And then it was the morning and we are walking them to where the bus picks them up and they slowly get on. They have excitement and fear in their eyes and as they sit down in the second row together and look at me ... I just lose it.

One of them is shy. Already too smart for her own good, she's the prankster, often in her own world, very opinionated, a total mush ball and easily distracted. She's 5 going on 15, constantly in her mom's closet figuring out what she's going to wear. She's the one that's going to give me trouble in high school, I already know it.

The other is the social one. Quick to make friends at a park, playground or someone's house, she's the rule follower, she's super considerate of everyone else, she's the one who shares, hyper aware of everything, she has no problem putting her foot down, hands on her little hips and letting us know what needs to happen. She's also five minutes older, so she takes the responsibility of being the "older sister" very seriously, often telling the other that she can have her dessert or that they need to watch what she wants, because "that's what big sisters do."

hey are beautiful and brilliant and maddening and unique and frustrating and puzzling and fantastic and insane and have me completely and http://www.dolphinsj...sey-c-1_16.html totally wrapped around their fingers.

And as of 10 days ago, they are no longer mine.

They went to a daily preschool together, a half-day thing five minutes from our house, but otherwise have been at home with my wife up until this year and so, even with the caveat that they are twins, they are very close. Sharing private jokes, not wanting to sleep unless the other one is in the room with them, they are inseparable.

The shy one always relies on the other to include her and bring her into play at playgrounds and parties. The "big sister," poor thing, inherited her father's awful eyesight (I wear contacts), so she wears glasses and sometimes is self-conscious about them. She leans on her younger sister for self-confidence and reassurance.

And now, at least in school, they won't anymore. We decided -- and by we, I really mean my wife decided and I didn't fight it -- that we would split them up. It's what the school and other parents of twins recommend, so right or wrong, we're doing it.

I feel that way all the time. Right or wrong, we are doing "it," whatever "it" may be, in raising the girls.

I am sure this will be of no surprise to anyone who has read me for any amount of time, but I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to parenting. And as the girls grow older, that's only going to become more apparent. To them and to me.

I often feel helpless, unsure of what to do, as my two little beans look to me for answers and guidance and everything a little girl wants from her daddy. Attention and love, I've got down pat. It's just everything else that's a question mark.

But at least, as I fumble my way through that, it was self-contained. In our own little world, their mother and I, their brothers and some friends. It was a self-contained world, where the worst thing that happens to them is we run Tracy Porter Womens Jersey out of apple juice.

And that ended 10 days ago. I know I have to share them with the real world.

They're ready. I'm not.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:20 PM #8168

Vontae Davis Ruled Out in
  • Vontae Davis Ruled Out in

Indianapolis Colts cornerback Vontae Davis has http://www.billsonli...sey-c-1_46.html been ruled out for Sunday's season opener against the Los Angeles Rams with a groin injury.

Per Kevin Bowen of 1070 The Fan, Colts head coach Chuck Pagano announced Davis would miss Week 1.

Davis injured his groin on Aug. 29, and Pagano told reporters it was "significant."

The Colts are starting the 2017 season banged up, with Davis joining quarterback Andrew Luck as two of the team's key players on the sidelines for the opener.

Davis has been one of the Colts' best defensive players since being acquired in a trade with the Miami Dolphins prior to the 2012 season. He was named to the Pro Bowl in back-to-back seasons in 2014-15 after recording a total of eight interceptions in 31 games.

Last season saw Davis' overall performance decline. The 29-year-old finished 98th in Pro Football Focus' cornerback grades with a 47.3 mark, a drop of nearly 50 points from his high-water mark in 2014 (94.6).

With Davis sidelined again, the Colts could http://www.billsshop...sey-c-1_51.html turn to rookie Quincy Wilson or second-year cornerback Christopher Milton.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:37 AM #8169

Cobi Hamilton waived by St
  • Cobi Hamilton waived by St

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler is reporting the http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_16.html Pittsburgh Steelers have released WR Cobi Hamilton. (Jeremy Fowler on Twitter)

Fantasy Impact

Although Hamilton had a role with the Steelers last season, they added JuJu Smith-Schuster in the draft and Martavis Bryant is reinstated. Since Hamilton was the low-man on the totem pole, he was the odd man out. He'll likely find his http://www.billsjers...sey-c-1_50.html way on to a practice squad in the near future.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:10 PM #8170

Clearing up issues surroun
  • Clearing up issues surroun

New Orleans Saints long snapper Jon Dorenbos will require a surgery to correct an aortic aneurysm, but he will not technically be http://www.ravenssho...rsey-c-2_3.html having open heart surgery, as his new head coach said.

An aortic aneurysm is an enlargement of the main vessel (that is bigger than a garden hose) leaving your heart that supplies the majority of the blood to the whole body. The large vessel develops a weakening in the wall and expands, much like a damaged garden hose, before it ruptures. It is known as a silent killer, since often previous symptoms are not exhibited. (Actors John Ritter and Alan Thicke died of aortic dissections.)

Indeed, Dorenbos is undergoing major surgery, and surgeons may need to “crack the chestopen to fix it. But it is not surgery to the heart. The heart is the water pumpwhile the aorta is the hose.

The good news is Dorenbos’ story will have a happy ending, as the discovery of his aortic aneurysm may have saved his life. However, with the surgery and his age (37), he has likely played his last down of football. With the graft typically used, that is a contraindication to return to tackle football.

There has been speculation that the trade that sent Dorenbos to New Orleans will be voided.

That seems unlikely.

He obviously passed his physical in order the see the field for the final preseason game.

Once that happens, the “old maidtheory http://www.authentic...sey-c-1_42.html applies. The new team assumes all health issues, including pre-existing conditions.

He has been placed on the Non-Football Injury list (NFI), which means the Saints could decide to not pay Dorenbos. But it would be extraordinary for the trade to be voided at this point – unless there was a non-disclosure issue from the Eagles. (I do not believe in any way, shape or form that was the case. There would be no reason for the Eagles to risk this players life and certainly not over a seventh-round draft pick.)

It is doubtful the Eagles’ quality medical staff was sloppy or missed any signs on Dorenbos since aortic aneurysm is known to not have symptoms. The Eaglesstaff is thorough. In 2011, it found a brain tumor on Jerome Harrisons post-trade physical, leading to surgery and having that trade voided.

It is not clear what led to a follow-up evaluation after Dorenbos passed his initial physical, but kudos to New Orleans primary care physician (Dr. John Amoss) for being diligent.Amoss was not involved in the Delvin Breaux issues that led to the highly-publicized firing of two team orthopedists recently.

Usually, team doctors’ names are not heard by the public. But in New Orleans, two very public issues in the past month have been the exception to that rule.

There are, in fact, numerous instances in which team physicians deserve kudos for discovering issues large and small. Eric Berry of the Chiefs Ty Montgomery Authentic Jersey and David Quessenberry of the Texans both beat life-threatening cancer after their lymphomas were discovered by team physicians.

In this case, it was also a trade that may have saved a player’s life.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:48 PM #8171

We just love our college f
  • We just love our college f

We're a tad bit different down here in the South about our college football.

The rest of the country thinks we're too http://www.officialb...803-p-1519.html serious, that we lack perspective, that it's supposed to be "just a game" and there are other things important beyond football season.

Agreed.

Recruiting, spring practice and phoning a radio call-in show in May to ask hosts who they think will win a game to be played in October are also essential to our well-being.

No doubt that college football in the South is a different animal, because we have bigger and more expensive zoos.

Starting my 38th season covering college football - that's almost four decades of questionable press box chili dogs - I can tell you college football below the Mason-Dixon line is distinctly ours.

Nobody else is crazy enough to claim it.

As LSU opens its home season tonight against Chattanooga in Tiger Stadium, I'm positive in our football South that we ...

Sometimes lose the game, but always win the party.

Instruct lawyers in divorce proceedings that the spouse can have the house but "I'm keeping the damned season tickets."

Donate to a worthy cause, like pooling bail money for a friend arrested trying to tear down a goalpost after a big victory.

Agree losing to Vanderbilt is always a reason to call in sick to jobs on Monday morning just to avoid the harassment in the office breakroom.

Are acceptable of mixed marriages, such as between http://www.officialb...rsey-c-1_3.html Alabama alums and Auburn alums, Ole Miss alums/Mississippi State alums and Florida/Georgia alums.

Can't give the exact date of when man first walked on the moon, but do know that a Georgia freshman running back named Herschel Walker ran over a Tennessee defensive back named Bill Bates, that former Alabama quarterback Joe Namath's middle name is Willie, that former Tennessee QB Peyton Manning used to be called "Peyty Pie" by his momma Olivia, that Florida's Steve Spurrier is the only person in college football history to win the Heisman Trophy as a player and later coach his alma mater to a national championship, and that a Baton Rougean named Dana Moore kicked the game-winning field goal for Mississippi State when the Bulldogs snapped No. 1 Alabama's 28-game win streak in 1980.

Agree any tailgate recipe tastes better with bourbon.

All think, no matter if we're six or 60 years old, that we have rocket throwing arms with deadly accuracy ... until we hit an elderly fan in the back of the head chucking a football around a stadium parking lot.

May not pay the electricity bill on time, but never fail to fork up money for season tickets.

Still don't understand why Missouri is in the SEC or how national championship-winning coaches Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier ended their Trai Turner Jersey careers at South Carolina.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:07 PM #8172

The Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • The Glenn Miller Orchestra

The Glenn Miller Orchestra. Music director: Rick http://www.dolphinsj...sey-c-1_50.html Gerber. Canberra Theatre. Saturday, September 23, 7.30pm. canberratheatrecentre.com.au or 6275 2700.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra is celebrating its 80th anniversary and its musical director Rick Gerber is almost as old himself.

"I'm 75, and I'm still in really good health," he says.

"I'm not on any kind of medication."

He's been a licensed pilot since 1975 and recently passed the fitness exam once again with flying colours – "99 per cent" and has no desire to retire.

"Retire to what? I have to do something!"

For now, that "something" is an Australian tour, and as part of it he will be coming to Canberra for the fourth time with musicians and solo singers to perform many of the classic hits of the Glenn Miller Orchestra in their original arrangements.They will also sing songs by the Andrews Sisters, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Vera Lynn. There are also performances by the Broadway Swing Dancers

During the 1930s and '40s, Glenn Miller was among the most popular of the big band leaders and his band's hits such as In the Mood, Moonlight Serenade and Chattanooga Choo-Choo still evoke the sound and feel of the classic swing era for audiences.

Miller (1904-44) worked as a trombonist, arranger and composer for a number of different bands before forming his first band in 1937 though it was the second, formed in March the following year, that became the lasting success. Between 1939 and 1942 Miller was the most popular bandleader in the US, scoring 17 top 10 hits in 1939, 31 in 1940 (more than three times as many as the second most popular artist, Tommy Dorsey), and 11 in 1941 (making him top recording artist for the second year in a row).

In September 1942, the first full year the US was in World War II, Miller broke up the band and joined the Army Air Force with an officer's commission, organising a service band that performed at military camps and war-bond rallies as well http://www.officialb...sey-c-2_33.html as hosting a weekly radio series. He had two more top 10 hits in 1943 and took his band to Britain in 1943 where he continued to entertain troops and do radio broadcasts.

Miller was flying to Paris when the aeroplane on which he was travelling disappeared over the English Channel, He was 40 years old..

Gerber spends three or four months every year touring internationally with the orchestra, bringing the big band sound to audiences around the world with renditions of Tuxedo Junction, Little Brown Jug and Pennsylvania 6-5000.

They also perform many shows in the US, both public performances and private gigs.

"The most fun I have ever had was Rod Stewart's 70th birthday party. He's a wonderful guy," Gerber says.

"He got up and sang with the band."

Gerber even had a chat with the veteran rocker over Diet Pepsi-Colas, Stewart's beverage of choice nowadays.

"This is the music he'd grown up with – Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie and especially Glenn Miller."

There are, in fact, two official Glenn Miller Orchestras in the US, the West (this one) and the East.

"We don't really cross each other's paths," Gerbers says, "but there's no bad blood."

One of the solo singers who is performing on this tour started out singing with the east coast band.

"She's 22 and very expert – she fit like a glove."

When not working or travelling Brandon LaFell Womens Jersey Gerber likes to watch classic musicals.

"I collect old movies on DVD," he says.

"Last night I watched Doris Day in the 1953 movie Calamity Jane."

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:41 AM #8173

The Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • The Glenn Miller Orchestra

The Glenn Miller Orchestra. Music director: Rick http://www.dolphinsj...sey-c-1_50.html Gerber. Canberra Theatre. Saturday, September 23, 7.30pm. canberratheatrecentre.com.au or 6275 2700.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra is celebrating its 80th anniversary and its musical director Rick Gerber is almost as old himself.

"I'm 75, and I'm still in really good health," he says.

"I'm not on any kind of medication."

He's been a licensed pilot since 1975 and recently passed the fitness exam once again with flying colours – "99 per cent" and has no desire to retire.

"Retire to what? I have to do something!"

For now, that "something" is an Australian tour, and as part of it he will be coming to Canberra for the fourth time with musicians and solo singers to perform many of the classic hits of the Glenn Miller Orchestra in their original arrangements.They will also sing songs by the Andrews Sisters, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Vera Lynn. There are also performances by the Broadway Swing Dancers

During the 1930s and '40s, Glenn Miller was among the most popular of the big band leaders and his band's hits such as In the Mood, Moonlight Serenade and Chattanooga Choo-Choo still evoke the sound and feel of the classic swing era for audiences.

Miller (1904-44) worked as a trombonist, arranger and composer for a number of different bands before forming his first band in 1937 though it was the second, formed in March the following year, that became the lasting success. Between 1939 and 1942 Miller was the most popular bandleader in the US, scoring 17 top 10 hits in 1939, 31 in 1940 (more than three times as many as the second most popular artist, Tommy Dorsey), and 11 in 1941 (making him top recording artist for the second year in a row).

In September 1942, the first full year the US was in World War II, Miller broke up the band and joined the Army Air Force with an officer's commission, organising a service band that performed at military camps and war-bond rallies as well http://www.officialb...sey-c-2_33.html as hosting a weekly radio series. He had two more top 10 hits in 1943 and took his band to Britain in 1943 where he continued to entertain troops and do radio broadcasts.

Miller was flying to Paris when the aeroplane on which he was travelling disappeared over the English Channel, He was 40 years old..

Gerber spends three or four months every year touring internationally with the orchestra, bringing the big band sound to audiences around the world with renditions of Tuxedo Junction, Little Brown Jug and Pennsylvania 6-5000.

They also perform many shows in the US, both public performances and private gigs.

"The most fun I have ever had was Rod Stewart's 70th birthday party. He's a wonderful guy," Gerber says.

"He got up and sang with the band."

Gerber even had a chat with the veteran rocker over Diet Pepsi-Colas, Stewart's beverage of choice nowadays.

"This is the music he'd grown up with – Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie and especially Glenn Miller."

There are, in fact, two official Glenn Miller Orchestras in the US, the West (this one) and the East.

"We don't really cross each other's paths," Gerbers says, "but there's no bad blood."

One of the solo singers who is performing on this tour started out singing with the east coast band.

"She's 22 and very expert – she fit like a glove."

When not working or travelling Brandon LaFell Womens Jersey Gerber likes to watch classic musicals.

"I collect old movies on DVD," he says.

"Last night I watched Doris Day in the 1953 movie Calamity Jane."

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:06 PM #8174

30 Clemente Award nominees
  • 30 Clemente Award nominees

It was 45 years ago this month when Roberto Clemente doubled to the wall for his 3,000th and final career hit -- three months before the plane http://www.cinemakol...sey-c-1_16.html crash that took his life as he tried to deliver relief supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

"I want to be remembered as a ballplayer who gave all he had to give," Clemente once said.

Today the legend of Puerto Rico's favorite son is stronger than ever, and the annual Roberto Clemente Award has become "baseball's most prestigious award," according to Commissioner Rob Manfred.

On Tuesday, Major League Baseball revealed the 30 club nominees for the 2017 honor, which goes to a player from each club who best represents the game of baseball through extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field.

American League nominees are Chris Davis of Baltimore, Rick Porcello of Boston, Jose Abreu of the Chicago White Sox, Carlos Carrasco of Cleveland, Miguel Cabrera of Detroit, Jose Altuve of Houston, Drew Butera of Kansas City, Cameron Maybin of the Los Angeles Angels (since acquired by Houston), Joe Mauer of Minnesota, Brett Gardner of the New York Yankees, Liam Hendriks of Oakland, Robinson Cano of Seattle, Evan Longoria of Tampa Bay, Cole Hamels of Texas, and Marcus Stroman of Toronto.

National League nominees are Paul Goldschmidt of Arizona, Jason Motte of Atlanta, Anthony Rizzo of the Chicago Cubs, Scooter Gennett of Cincinnati, Ian Desmond of Colorado, Justin Turner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Dee Gordon of Miami, Matt Garza of Milwaukee, T.J. Rivera of the New York Mets, Cameron Rupp of Philadelphia, Josh Harrison of Pittsburgh, Adam Wainwright of St. Louis, Hunter Renfroe of San Diego, Buster Posey of San Francisco and Ryan Zimmerman of Washington.

The list of nominees features Major Leaguers whose work in the community focuses on important issues ranging from awareness and fundraising of childhood cancer and other illnesses, education, outreach to underserved children and communities in the U.S. and abroad, care for veterans and more.

"This award represents everything Roberto stood for as a 'good Samaritan,'" said MLB goodwill ambassador Vera Clemente, Roberto's http://www.dusenadup...sey-c-1_28.html wife. "Through the Roberto Clemente Award, today's players are recognized for these same qualities."

Each club nominates one current player to be considered for the Roberto Clemente Award in tribute to Clemente's achievements and character. Wednesday marks the 16th annual Roberto Clemente Day, which was established by MLB to honor Clemente's legacy and to officially acknowledge local club nominees of the award in his honor.

Clubs playing at home on Wednesday will recognize their local nominees as part of Roberto Clemente Day ceremonies. Visiting clubs will honor their nominees on a subsequent homestand. As part of the league-wide celebration, the Roberto Clemente Day logo will appear on the bases and official dugout lineup cards and a special tribute video will be played in ballparks.

There are seven 2017 All-Stars among the nominees: Goldschmidt, Altuve, Turner, Harrison, Posey, Cano and Zimmerman.

The Roberto Clemente Award winner will be selected among the group of nominees via a blue-ribbon panel that includes individuals connected to the game, including Manfred, representatives from MLB-affiliated networks (MLB Network, FOX Sports, ESPN and TBS) and MLB Advanced Media, as well as Vera Clemente.

Fans will be able to vote from Oct. 2-6 for the overall Roberto Clemente Award winner. The voting page will feature bios of each of the nominees and will allow fans to easily vote by clicking on the respective nominee's name. The winner of the fan balloting will count as one vote among those cast by the blue-ribbon panel. Additional information about fan voting will be shared via MLB.com and MLB social media channels.

Maybin remains the Angels' nominee despite changing teams via waivers on Aug. 31. The Angels notified MLB after the transaction that they wanted him to retain the honor. In fact, Maybin will be returning as an Astro to Anaheim in mid-September, when the Angels were already planning to honor him.

Last year's recipient was Dodgers outfielder Curtis Granderson. He was like other recipients who say at each presentation that it is the Kelvin Benjamin Kids Jersey most important honor of their careers, on or off the field.

"This is all part of just trying to do the legacy, like Ms. Clemente said, trying to do better each day, making it better for the next group to come up behind you," Granderson said.

Willie Mays won the first of these honors in 1971 when it was known as the Commissioner's Award, to recognize players for their philanthropic work, and he is among 16 Hall of Famers who have been recipients of the honor. After 1972, the award was dedicated in Clemente's name.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:18 PM #8175

Former Houston Texans full
  • Former Houston Texans full

Former Houston Texans fullback Vonta Leach http://www.rd-corp.c...sey-c-1_33.html said Wednesday that Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has "always juiced."

Cushing was suspended 10 games Wednesday for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Leach's comment regarding his former teammate came in reply to a tweet by NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, but Leach later deleted his tweet, according to Michael McClymont of The Score.

In 2010, Cushing was suspended four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances on the heels of a fantastic rookie campaign that saw him win Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

Leach was Cushing's teammate in 2009 and 2010 before joining the Baltimore Ravens for the 2011 season.

The 35-year-old last played in 2013 and finished his career as a three-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro First Team selection.

Cushing hasn't made a Pro Bowl since his rookie http://www.texanspro...sey-c-1_40.html year, and he has appeared in all 16 games just once since doing so during the 2011 campaign.

With Cushing out of the mix at inside linebacker, Houston's depth will be tested over the next two-and-a-half months.

Benardrick McKinney will continue to hold down one spot, while rookie second-round pick Zach Cunningham and undrafted rookie Dylan Cole will vie for playing time alongside him.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:26 PM #8176

Detroit Tigers may play An
  • Detroit Tigers may play An

A stunt? Yes. A mockery of the game? No.

Detroit Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said this http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_32.html morning he’s considering allowing Andrew Romine to play all nine positions in a game during the current homestand.

There's really nothing to think about. It should happen and Ausmus should announce it as soon as possible to give fans  ample time to buy tickets (they're dirt cheap on StubHub).

Romine playing each position in a game is the best reason anyone would have for seeing the Tigers during the final month of the regular season. The team drastically underachieved and traded away the majority of its remaining star power at the end of August.

Romine would become the fifth player and second Tiger to play all nine positions in a game. Ausmus was a catcher for the Tigers when Shane Halter accomplished the feat on Oct. 1, 2000.

More Tigers news

Detroit Tigers pitcher Buck Farmer says he didn't mean to bean umpire

Detroit Tigers fight, but can't stop Cleveland Indians from history

The others who have played all nine positions in a game are: Bert Campaneris of the Kansas City Athletics (Sept. 8, 1965), Cesar Tovar of the Minnesota Twins (Sept. 22, 1968) and Scott Sheldon of the Texas Rangers (Sept. 6, 2000).

If were going to do it, it would have to be some time in the next seven days,Ausmus said. You cant do it against the Twins and Royals if theyre in the hunt."

Ausmus said in July that Romine could play http://www.officialr...sey-c-1_17.html catcher before the end of the season. That’s the position Romine hasn't played in his Major League career. Its also the same position his brother, Austin Romine, plays for the New York Yankees.

Asked about Romine starting at catcher in July, Ausmus said it would “have to probably be the last day of the season and were out of it.

The Tigers are clearly out of it now, and have a stretch of games against the Chicago White Sox and Oakland Athletics that allow him to consider giving Romine the chance to do something special.

Some baseball purists will be upset about the news.

The fact remains the Tigers are a terrible team and this will be an interesting story line in an otherwise forgettable stretch of remaining home games.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:52 AM #8177

If the Bills want to make
  • If the Bills want to make

Last week was the homecoming game for http://www.newjersey...sey-c-1_49.html the Bills. You know, the game where college football programs typically schedule a weakling they can beat up on so that everyone enjoys the weekend. That’s what last Sunday was for the Bills.

They laid waste to the Division II patsy known as the New York Jets, doing so in front of dozens of alums back in Buffalo to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Houston comeback game. It gave everyone in Bills Nation a warm and fuzzy feeling at those post-game tailgates, but now it’s on to the Division I portion of the schedule. In other words, back to reality.

MORE: Maiorana: For once a Buffalo Bills victory we saw coming against dreadful Jets

The Bills head to Carolina for the Panthers’ home opener Sunday, and among several things the Bills are going to find out is that Cam Newton is not Josh McCown, Luke Kuechly is not Demario Davis, and Kawann Short is, at the very least, the equal of one of the Jetsfew studs, Leonard Williams.

MORE: Panthers' Luke Kuechly: 'LeSean McCoy is dangerous. That’s all I need to say

The Panthers are talented and tough, a team that was in the Super Bowl just two years ago and is considered a true playoff contender this season in the NFC. It’s a huge test for the Bills, but if they really want to give their fans something to http://www.officialp...rsey-c-1_8.html shout about, go down to Carolina and win.

The Bills were supposed to run the ball well against the Jets, and they did. They were supposed to shut down one of the most putrid NFL offenses in recent memory, and they did. They were at home, and even in the worst of times, the Bills are almost always tough to beat at New Era Field, and they were. In short, they were supposed to beat New York, and they did.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:41 AM #8178

Sizing up LaDarius Gunter
  • Sizing up LaDarius Gunter

CHARLOTTE – LaDarius Gunter is known http://www.yadeos.co...sey-c-1_13.html for pressing the issue with receivers, but upon his arrival in Carolina, he found himself pressed between a pair of receivers.

Gunter, a physically imposing cornerback claimed off waivers from the Packers on Tuesday, has his locker situated along wide receivers row – between Devin Funchess and Fred Ross.

"He's in the hood over here!" Funchess exclaimed.

"I know I've got to be on point," Gunter said. "Wide receivers like to talk trash, so it should be fun."

Gunter believes going against imposing receivers like Funchess and Kelvin Benjamin will help him tackle the tall order he could face against the NFC South's stacked lineup of receivers. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up with Carolina's cornerbacks that hang out along Thieves Ave. on the other end of the locker room.

Gunter joins starters James Bradberry and Daryl Worley as corners at least 6 feet tall and at least 200 pounds. At 6-2, he's the tallest of the bunch.

"Anytime we have somebody here to compete with and challenge us each and every day, that's cool with me," Bradberry said.

Bradberry hasn't had much of time to size up his new teammate but knew that Gunter was a starter in Green Bay a season ago.

"He's a guy who started 15 games last year. He's a guy who can contribute for us," Rivera said. "I like his size. He's long and physical, and he has good ball skills. He plays with his eyes and his hands and has good movement."

Undrafted in 2015 out of the University of http://www.arimtex.c...sey-c-1_26.html Miami – where he played with injured rookie cornerback Corn Elder Gunter was one of two undrafted rookies to make the Packers' initial 53-man roster. He played little during the regular season, but with Sam Shields injured, he was thrust into action in an NFC Wild Card victory over Washington.

A solid showing there combined with an injury riddled 2016 season for the Green Bay secondary set Gunter up to pace the Packers secondary in snaps and lead the team with 15 passes defensed. This offseason, however, Green Bay signed veteran corner Davon House away from Jacksonville and used the 33rd pick in the draft on corner Kevin King.

After Gunter played two snaps in Green Bay's season opener, the Packers waived him.

"Green Bay gave me two great years. I'm grateful for it. Now it's time for me to move on," Gunter said. "I want to take all the momentum I had in the preseason, bring it here and see where my season goes."

Gunter forced a fumble in the Packers' preseason Derek Newton Womens Jersey opener, and in the final preseason game he had a sack and an interception over the course of three plays.

His mindset fits with those plays and should fit with the Panthers.

"Find the ball. Get the ball," Gunter said. "I just want to come in and compete."

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:41 PM #8179

Fact or Fiction: Predictio
  • Fact or Fiction: Predictio

JOHN SCHMEELK: Fact: I thought about http://www.ky-oo32.c...rsey-c-1_6.html doing something like, “The Cowboys offensive line vs. the Giants defensive line,but I thought it was a bit of a cop-out because it isnt an individual matchup. If the Giants do win that battle up front, however, they should win the game. Jenkins did an excellent job against Bryant in their two matchups last year. Bryant, however, had a completely healthy offseason for the first time in a couple years and he should be at his best on Sunday night. He came on strong at the end of last season once his foot got healthy. Bryant is the Cowboysbig play threat through the air, and if Jenkins can handle him man-to-man with limited help, it will allow the Giants to assign a safety to help against the run.

DAN SALOMONE: Fact. On Sunday night, like it does every game, the game plan starts with stopping the run. But the Giants were so effective last year, particularly against the Cowboys, because they also shut down one of the biggest playmakers in the NFL. Jenkins helped limit Bryant to just two catches for 18 yards, one of which he forced Bryant to fumble.

LANCE MEDOW: Fiction: Last season, Janoris Jenkins was very effective against Dez Bryant as he had just two catches for 18 yards in both games combined. Despite Jenkins containing Bryant, both contests were decided by a total of http://www.ochomesnl...sey-c-1_16.html four points, and that’s a reflection of both teams having numerous weapons on both sides of the field. How the Giantslinebackers and safeties defend running back Ezekiel Elliott and tight end Jason Witten is worth watching, but that involves a variety of personnel as opposed to one specific matchup, so the most intriguing head-to-head battle will be Jason Pierre-Paul against Dallas right tackle Lael Collins, who has moved from left guard to take the place of the retired Doug Free. Collins has started 14 games over his first two seasons with the Cowboys and played tackle at LSU, but this will be his first campaign at that position on the NFL level. Given how effective the Cowboysoffensive line has been over the last few seasons, its a matchup worth keeping an eye on throughout the game.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:35 PM #8180

The best and worst fantasy
  • The best and worst fantasy

For fantasy football, we care about offense. Defenses matter (especially if, like me, you were one of the lucky ones starting the Jaguars’ or http://www.dusenadup...sey-c-1_33.html Rams’ defenses in Week 1), but were looking for yards and points.

Week 1 failed in that regard. The past four years, Week 1 has seen teams average 350 yards and 2.3 touchdowns per game, averaging 22.7 points. Well, in Week 1 of this year, teams averaged 314.1 yards, 1.9 touchdowns, and 20.2 points. This means that there is a really good chance you are disappointed with your fantasy team after Week 1 … but most of your leaguemates are as well (in my home league, 10 of 12 teams failed to meet projections).

The old saw goes that offense is ahead of defense early in the year, that scores start high and tail off. If that’s true, then we could be in for a long season from a fantasy perspective. But for now, lets treat Week 1 as a slightly disappointing http://www.hl-sappor...sey-c-1_24.html blip, and look ahead to Week 2. Below, we’re taking a look at some good and bad fantasy situations from the first week of the season with all 32 teams in action.